Should I big bolt pattern my car?

-

adamsredlines

'69 Dart
Reaction score
My Dart has small bolt pattern, but also has the appropriate Centerline wheels which I really like and aren't the easiest to come by. So...with about 450hp (estimate) from the 390, is there any reason to upgrade to big bolt pattern?

From a mechanical stand point I don't see the need to. The sheer on the 5 lugs would be about the same on a small vs big lug pattern. You bigger concern is are the lugs the right diameter? Going to the bigger bolt pattern will really only give you more choices for wheels.

My Dart has small bolt pattern, but also has the appropriate Centerline wheels which I really like and aren't the easiest to come by. So...with about 450hp (estimate) from the 390, is there any reason to upgrade to big bolt pattern?
Never had a problem with the SBP , EXCEPT WHEEL CHOICE

It's up to you the reason a lot of us change to big bolt is a choice of better rims and having disc brake parts available easier . If you already have a small bolt discs in front and a rear end capable of holding up to the power of your engine with small bolt I don't see a reason to change to big bolt. Just my 2 cents Dustin

It's up to you the reason a lot of us change to big bolt is a choice of better rims and having disc brake parts available easier . If you already have a small bolt discs in front and a rear end capable of holding up to the power of your engine with small bolt I don't see a reason to change to big bolt. Just my 2 cents Dustin

that is the only reason I see

I have no trouble , I hit the brakes hard at the end of the 1/4 and the track has a short run off , no trouble 120 - 0 with LOTS of room to spare . In fact I slow down as quickly as all the new cars at the track , good pads and well maintained system is the trick , the best system not maintained is worthless .

Been racing my '70 duster with a 520 h.p. 416 and a 400 h.p. 360 running stock drum brakes stops no problem..you just need to know how to apply the brakes..lol

The big bolt disc's use the better, floating caliper style caliper as opposed to the fixed caliper Kelsey Hays small bolt. Parts(calipers, pads, etc) are much easier to find parts for. I have the small bolt disc's on my 72 Demon and have a lot of caliper pistons stick and not work properly, over the years.

-
Back