Should I buy 48* heads

-

Dart 67 sedan

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a set of w2 48* heads for under 500.00 Is this a good buy or should I forget them. I have asset of 59* heads closed chamber. The 48* are open chamber.

I think you would be better of to take a pass; good price, can't use them. Valve train issues up the waszzooo if you don't have a 48 degree block

Would these 48° heads be the version that requires rock shaft pedestals?
I know the 48° is actually the lifter angle and placement, which moves the bottom of the pushrod toward the centerline of the engine block, and moves the pushrod clearance machining on the heads, but is the valve angle and placement the same as 58° heads? Is the valve length the same? What keeps him from modifying these for use on a 59° lifter angle block? Always wondered this.

48 degree heads will bolt on a 59 degree lifter angle block and the lifter angle can work. You need to pay attention to the pushrod clearance in the head which on a high performance build is typical clearance checking. You also need to carefully check the valve train geometry to ensure the combination of parts from pushrod to valve tip work correctly. The bigger issue is the valve angle. 48 degree heads have a 15 degree valve angle versus the standard small block 18 degree valve angle. If you do not have pistons yet then you can get the piston manufacturer to make you a custom piston set. If you have pistons or your engine is built already then clearance checking is even more important than usual.

A lot more drama than standard W2 heads for a 59 degree block.

Go for it. Looks like you're tryin to talk yourself into it.

-
Back