Should I buy it? 1963 Chrysler Imperial

-

75Brougham

75Brougham
Reaction score
I recently had my Valiant totalled, and am in the process of looking for a new daily driver. There's a 63 Imperial a few miles away from me for $2500. The guy told me he recently rebuilt the 413 in this beast. I know Imperials are very sought after cars in the Mopar world. My only problem is, it would be my daily driver. I thought my single barrel slant six drank gas, but I don't think I know what I'm getting into with this monster of a car, with an equally monstrous sized engine. I'm wondering if anybody on this site has had any experience with these cars, and if so, could give me some tips and "what to look for" issues or details before I buy. I know it isn't an A body, but being a member of this site, I figured it may be a very good place to find information. Which brings me to another question, what type of body is the Imperial? I could also join another of the sister pages to this site and find what I need there. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Russ

Imperials until '67 are body-on-frame cars. They aren't c-bodies, they are something else. Some parts are hard to find and expensive. People say the 413's gas mileage is a bit better than the 440. Keep in mind you have to like really BIG cars if you're going to daily-drive it. Personally I love them but wouldn't be the most practical for parking.

Imperials until '67 are body-on-frame cars. They aren't c-bodies, they are something else. Some parts are hard to find and expensive. People say the 413's gas mileage is a bit better than the 440. Keep in mind you have to like really BIG cars if you're going to daily-drive it. Personally I love them but wouldn't be the most practical for parking.

Yes, You are correct. 1957-1965 Imperials are D bodies but in speaking of him joining another sister site.. the one to join would be c body as they do include those into that forum

It will be a big and comfy ride. A daily driver from gas pump to gas pump.

you say Imperials are sought after in the mopar world. I have yet to find the planet that is true.

Seriously, I have owned several years of imperials in various conditions and one thing they all had in common was horrible re-sale value. Most of them, even the nicer ones ended up being worth more by yanking the driveline and disposing the body.

If your trying to restore one......good luck. Parts are extremely hard to come by and usually very expensive. These cars have almost zero aftermarket support. A lot of people say they like these but that is a different story when it comes to making a sale. Most people want them for nothing and try to low ball it to death. Cant say I have ever had the same problem with an A,B, or E body

my .02 from experience .....best wishes on whatever you decide.

It's as big as a pickup truck and at least as heavy as a pickup truck. Fuel mileage will be similar to a pickup truck. 9 MPG/city 11 MPG/hwy or so. If you'd DD a pickup, why not.

Unless it's in showroom condition it'll probably never be worth a lot, the market is small. Mechanical parts are standard early 60's Mopar stuff and available, body and trim stuff will be impossible so look for a complete car with everything working.

Also, the 413 is an oddball because of the bore size. It is too small of a bore to bore to a 440, plus, only one company makes pistons for the oddball bore size, Egge and they are over 400 bucks. For stock cast pistons. So, if it has not been rebuilt and needs it in the future, that's your only piston choice, unless you go with custom pistons that can run close to or over 1K dollars.

The car is a red headed step child. So is the engine. I would run away. Fast.

you say Imperials are sought after in the mopar world. I have yet to find the planet that is true.

Seriously, I have owned several years of imperials in various conditions and one thing they all had in common was horrible re-sale value. Most of them, even the nicer ones ended up being worth more by yanking the driveline and disposing the body.

If your trying to restore one......good luck. Parts are extremely hard to come by and usually very expensive. These cars have almost zero aftermarket support. A lot of people say they like these but that is a different story when it comes to making a sale. Most people want them for nothing and try to low ball it to death. Cant say I have ever had the same problem with an A,B, or E body

my .02 from experience .....best wishes on whatever you decide.

that makes no sense rainy
you cant give them away when you have them
but when your looking for parts they are way expensive?

seems slightly contradictory there

Imperials tend to be like a red-head step child among Mopars. The problem for collectors today is that there were not many of them made and a lot of the trim parts were unique to the Imperial. Check for rust in the usual places. Anything other than surface rust should be avoided like the plague.

Most of what's out there are Crown Imperials (mid-price range). Rarest among Imperials are the Crown convertible and the LeBaron (high price range). If trim parts are missing, pass on it IMHO. Other than pistons, the driveline is straight Mopar. Even in top shape, don't expect better than 12 mpg on the highway.

I had a 62 new yorker. That thing was a tank, rode like a lazy boy was a fun car. Had someone total out their car when they hit that thing in the rear quarter. It was a tank

Be prepared for LOUSY gas mileage.
If you think your slant six was a little hard on gas, you'll freak if you daily drive this one!

I've personally witnessed my dads bone stock 64 Imp 413 4bbl Average over 15 mpg on a trip to the Carolinas through the WV mountains. Two of the tanks got over 17 mpg! My buddies two 69 new ports 383 2bbl both got 17 mph towing a small aluminum fishing boat (highway). They can be a little more efficient than most give them credit for.

The 63 looks pretty cool

It would be a different car, mini fins and not for a whole lot of money

I say go for it

Attachments

• 63-i,[erial.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 239
They have a lot of weird Imperial only parts. I think the trans and trans mounts are different, the driveshaft u-joint and yoke are different, maybe the brakes, I've seen some Imperials with bigger bolt pattern wheels. Definitely freaky cars. One thing for sure, you will win in almost any traffic accident, except maybe against a train.

yea i would think not for a daily driver.i love my 61 newport,floats down the road.ita a good change of pace from the duster.if you like it buy it.but it will not be practicle for your main transportation.

Terrible daily driver. Bad handling, bad brakes, and bad mileage. I don't think 60s imperials have ever been very collectible. I would stick with an A body, look for a 73 up Duster or Scamp. If you look for a 4 speed overdrive with a S6 you could do really well with mileage. Disc brakes on the front, and maybe spend $500 rebuilding the front end.

-
Back