Should I drive my car to the track?

Should I drive to the track?

• Drive it

Votes: 73 66.4%
  • Figure out how to get a trailer behind the Jeep and haul it.

Votes: 37 33.6%

• Total voters
-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
So here's the deal - I have this orange Duster that I want to get down the track in the worst way. While that's not a problem in itself, said track is approximately 80 miles from my house one way. I don't have a trailer of any sort. My car has a forward pattern manual valve body 904, 3,500 + converter and 4.30:1 gears. At 55 mph, I'm a little over 3K on the tach. There's an external trans cooler and a 26" rad with a shroud that according to my temp gauge never goes over 180-190 or so, even in stop and go traffic. But that is a lot of heat over a long period of time.

There is another option - our family truckster. We have an '01 Cherokee Sport with a class 3 trailer hitch. The P.O. installed it to tow a smaller trailer with motocross bikes in it but not a car hauler. I never verified that we have the towing package for this thing or not but I think it's OK either way. Problem with the Jeep is that the towing capacity is only 5,000 lbs. Duster weighs at least 3,200 with a full interior and all steel. That leaves very little room for the trailer, probably end up right at the maximum. Don't have the scratch to buy one of those lovely 1,200 lb aluminum trailers at the moment either.

I'm really hoping to get down there and makes some passes. Yeah the worry about breaking something is there and being stuck 80 mi. from home would suck. Kinda leaning towards driving down there but perhaps I am missing something. Might be unforeseen consequences from A) driving such a long distance with this particular combo, B) flogging it then C) driving back to the Island. I have no reason to believe anything is going to break but it's making me a little uneasy.

Not planning on taking any extra parts or tools beyond a tire gauge.

I also have a good friend who lives about 10-15 minutes from the track so if absolutely necessary, I could probably give him a call if a situation arose.

What say you all?

Perhaps rent a Uhaul truck & trailer?? That is how I moved a car I bought before I had truck/trailer....

What about a car dolly, much lighter than a trailer. Back it on, strap it down and go. Just a thought.

car dolly works pretty good. Then if it breaks at the track you can still get it home and not be stuck

Back the Car on with most the weight over the axles to just maybe behind the axles. I don't recommend to long of hauls like this but will take some of the heat off the Jeep. Buy a set of sway bars something along this line. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/trailer-hitch-eaz-lift.htm I know this is for motor homes it's just for a quick review of what I'm talking about. There is all kinds out there. This helps a lot with distribution of weight with nose heavy hauling.

Unless this is gonna be a regular thing i would just drive it for now. If you can stay at 55-60mph and the temp doesn't go above 200 i think your good. The dolly idea is also a good one if this will be a more frequent thing. There's always calling a rollback if needed. It's alot cheaper than making payments and insurance on a truck and trailer that gets used once a month or so.

Tow dollys arent allowed on the NJ tpke.
What track are you going to?

The driveshaft must be removed when using a tow dolly, as you have an auto trans.

Ive tried that too. Got the tow vehicle real loose, (gmc envoy)

All tow dolly loading instructions that Ive seen say to load by pulling onto the dolly foward.

Front load is better. I think they recommend it to make sure if the steering isn't locked well, it doesn't get away from you.

Got any buddies with a truck and trailer that you can borrow, or have along for a day at the track? Just pay for gas, dinner and maybe a few brews and you should be golden.

I used to be in a similar situation. I used to just drive it to the track, but my track was only an hour away. Whatever you choose, good luck and have a great time!

I'd tow it, but not with that Jeep. Tow ratings are not based on the vehicle having enough balls to pull it. I know a dude that spent a year in jail due to a trailer falling off and smoking the guy behind him. Smoking him as meaning vehicular manslaughter. Be safe and have fun at the track.

I say drive it there with the tallest tire you can get on the back(will help drop RPM,s)once at the track remove street tires and run your slicks.Have fun.:D

Gonna work on getting a trailer this week but I'll probably end up driving it. Car dolly ain't gonna happen. Uhaul does have aluminum trailers and there is a place right by me, might go down and inquire about it.

Scott, tires are 275/60/15 so approx. 28", probably about as tall as would fit.

I think it will be fine to drive. I drive it around here all the time without issue. I've had it on the highway and the major problem with that is shifting gears. The car lugs when you have to get on and off. I'm not going to down shift it at higher speeds either. You just have to be aware of everything and try to avoid those types of situations where drive ratio is less than optimal.

Track is ETown, almost exactly 80 miles from me here in Huntington.

Even if you add some Water Wetter to your water in rad,it will help keep temps down by atleast 15* on a longer trip(works for me).:D

My cousin has towed his stock car with his intrepid before, If its a concern get a heavier duty hitch and rear springs. For now drive your car to the track.

Get a AAA membership. If it breaks let them tow it back home. The added benefit is you have AAA for whenever you need it. You know they will tow/make a road call for any car whether its your or not as long as your there. I've used mine more for others car then my own.

BTW....Thats why I drive my car to the track

I'ld go the AAA in the back pocket option if this is just going to be a once in a while deal.
It's cheaper and less of a hassle than looking for a place to park a trailer 360 days out of the year. Not only that, it is nice to have that extra piece of mind should something happen even if you're just bopping around town. C'mon, we all know shtuff happens....

I have a AAA membership but it's just a basic one. May look into the AAA Plus deal which is $75 and up to 100 miles free towing. Not too bad, might be cheap insurance just for this particular situation. Without the Plus membership, tow from E Town to Huntington would probably be at least $250.

If something did break, I'd probably have it towed the 10 or so miles to my bud's house in Matawan and take the train home, then get a truck and trailer during the week and go get it.

Thanks for the input guys. Let's hope that if I do this, it's a trouble free day. Just assuming the worst here. Always better to be prepared and have options rather than expect nothing and have it be a disaster.

-
Back