Should I just rebuild it?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
well the 71 /6 swinger is burning oil big time.
I drained it today and only a half quart came out of her and I have no big oil drips or leaks.

I changed the oil about 2000 miles ago.

I'm thinking it needs a ring job, but I'm also contemplating rebuuilding it.

I wanted to get some suggestions if I should stay bone stock or get a little crazy with it with some clifford performance stuff, but any suggestions welcome.

It's a 198 with a three on the tree.

i say build a mean little slant six. something that when you open the hood, people look at it confused and ask why you didnt put a v8 in it. but good luck with clifford. its been almost three weeks since i ordered my headers that they said were in stock.

hey spaz ive got a crank cut 10 10 with bearings 198 flattops with bearings resized rods and rings. pistons are new 244 np fed mogul. and a comp cam 264s. this was all assembled in a 30 over block. It got a little surface rust at the top of the bores while it was sitting and i pulled it apart. it was never run only assembled so the rings were never ran cam was never run and bearings are new. Ill stand behind everything. 300 plus shipping or make offer i,d trade for a suregrip for a 8.75 differential or what have ya.just the cam and having the crank cut cost 300. pm me if interested. ive got a 69 notch also so if you have anything like that i may be interested.also need a set of big bolt a body axles.

To me it be according to how much I would want to sink in the motor. Bone stock rebuild is going to be cheaper of course but I don't think it would really be that much. I'm not familiar with Clifford stuff but doing some basic things would make it run better. Different cam, back cut the valves, up the compression etc.. little things that would make a difference far as HP and not cost a bunch.

Thanks guy for the input.

Daredevil, I aprreciate the offer and I'll keep it in my thoughts as I try to decide what to do.

Machine work tends to be expensive, I would either just hone it and re-ring it or see what I can find in the way of a replacement like the one Daredevil has.

-
Back