Should I keep my 65 Valiant or my 73 Charger?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've gotten too many Mopars to fund and repair. I've got this 1965 Valiant 4 Door Sedan, 1973 Dodge Charger, 1986 Plymouth Reliant and 1999 Dodge Dakota R/T. Ultimately my goal is to be able to drive my 65 Valiant or 73 Charger to my local car shows and not have to worry about a breakdown no matter which car I choose. The Valiant needs a fair amount of rust repair, lower rear quarters, small patch on passenger door, 3 out of 4 floor pans, and a replacement driver's fender. I would also like to get a 225 engine back in as someone swapped it for a 1966 170. It could also use a transmission leak repair and a front end rebuild. The 73 Charger originally was a 318 but I got it with a 1976 400-4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.91 limited slip. I've rebuilt the front end, interior, rebuilt transmission, rebuilt 400, new engine harness, new rear suspension, brakes. It needs mostly paint now. But I'm unable to document it because there was no broadcast sheet. The 65 Valiant I've redone most the interior, replaced dash and engine harness, rebuilt gauges, new fuel system front to back, rebuilt brake system front to back, and got the engine running ok. However, I was able to get the original build card from Chrysler and have been able to document it back to it's original selling dealer. The Charger has driveability problems ranging from running hot sometimes, cutting off, and a driveline vibration. The Valiant has a tremendous transmission leak from the rear park cover, needs a front end rebuild, and the correct engine put in. Realistically what would be more desirable of a car going by originality. a 1965 Valiant 200 4 Door Sedan with 225 and Torqueflite column shift, or a 1973 Dodge Charger 318, Torqueflite 904 column shift. How expensive can it get to have the floor pans replaced on a Valiant? I already have the fronts in the box.

The Valiant is a more door and an early A so it will never have any resale value. I would off that and keep the Charger.

keep the charger. sell the Kcar and keep the 65.

I've kept on to my Charger since I bought it in 2004. I always wanted a Charger ever since I was little but of course a 68-70 but never could afford one in workable shape. So I opted for a 73 which still is cool looking. I know I would regret getting rid of it even though I haven't been able to put 100 miles on it since I finished it 5 years ago. The Valiant was given to me free but I've got a considerable amount of money into but the rust repair it will need has brought me to this point of selling. It can still be driven but with the transmission leak it can't be driven for too long. It's got that massive transmission leak from the park cover that I can't seem to work out. Then it needs all the bushings in the front end and then it could probably be driven just about anywhere. My 1986 Plymouth Reliant was given to me as well and is a original 43,000 mile car and now it does drive like it. It sat for 10 years without being driven so I had to replace fuel tank, pump, sending unit, fuel hoses, filter, and fuel injector. I can drive it anywhere now and I've gotten an economy paint job on it. It looks great and I took it to my first car show I've ever entered and it won an award. It's got a cd player, a/c, heater, and it's throttle body injected so it's a good car to keep as a backup. I'm in it for less than $1000 with all that. So the Valiant has to have the transmission leak fixed but after that's done I still have to drive it a longer distance to make sure nothing else is wrong. The Charger will need a driveshaft if the one can be fixed, it's got a power steering leak, it gets past midway on the temp gauge in the summer, it's got reliability issues, and the a/c has to be worked out.

-
Back