Should I keep these heads?

-

66 Barracuda

Reaction score
I'm building a 77 360 for my 66 Barracuda. Block .020 over, new cast crank, KB 107 pistons, 72 340 high-po exhaust manifolds, holly 750, (not sure of the cam) I guess the question is, are these heads worth rebuilding with 2.00 intake valves for this application, the exhaust ports of the heads are considerably smaller than th hi-po manifolds. Or am I waisting time-money-effort!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do I need something with a less cc chamber.

Sounds like a 596 or 051 casting smog head. You should cc the chambers. Factory is between 66 and 72.5 cc. Only way to reduce chamber size is a magnum head or cut your heads down.

Smog heads can flow just as good as a 340 head. More work is needed though. They do have hardened valve seats. Air injection ports need to be blocked.

A smaller port doesn't mean worse flow abilty.

Head number?

Crap! not sure of the casting #. Navy got me here at work till tomorrow morning. The heads were on a 77 Dodge 4 wheel Drive.

Thinking now maybe to purchase mopar's aluminum LA Heads with 63 cc chamber size. They are listing the exhaust ports at 77cc, is that what the original 340 heads would have been? I don't know why I'm worried about the exhaust ports matching so much?

Ya, your worrying to much.
You really don't need less cc's in the head. I'm assuming the build to be mello since you have exhaust manifolds. Otherwise, with exhaust manifolds, I'd say your wasting time in a hi-po build.

(I knew I seen this post before!)

Got a set of those heads sitting on the garage floor..why??..because they're garbage,they came with the 360 i bought and did'nt need them, there are much better heads out there to be had...

Got a set of those heads sitting on the garage floor..why??..because they're garbage,they came with the 360 i bought and did'nt need them, there are much better heads out there to be had...

Agreed! *

( It's build dependent , see his other, same titled thread.)

-
Back