Should I? opinions / ideas wanted

-

player1up

Reaction score
I have a lead on a mid 90's dodge van with a 318 fuel injected motor overdrive trans. might be free or very low cost

Not sure what it will cost me or when I'll have the time or space to do the swap.

Should I pick it up? :scratch:
- is it worth having a parts van sitting in my driveway for....(hell freezing over)
- is it worth having one more straw on the camels (wifes) back :angry4:

or Should I wait for when I'm ready to do the swap to start looking for a setup?

This is funny, I am working on getting a '92 B350van with a 5.9 and OD trans for almost nothing because the guy says it has a water pump problem. I told the wife last night and she asked why? we already have an '88 B350 van she says. We have been married 23 years and I need to re-train her everytime I find a deal like this. Great thing is 16yr old son is taking accounting and he chimes in and says "mom, it is an asset, assets are good, liabilities are bad". Of course it does help that I have plenty of room to store these things (33 acres). Don't get me wrong this is not one of these places that is a mess. All of these cars and trucks have a dedicated spot on my land and are all in a neat even row.

To a guy like me its worth it. But you don't want to get the neighbors upset with you. Being a good neighbor works both ways.

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission!

Chuck

If it is a mid 90's Van or truck it will be a Magnum motor. This has MPFI and would make a nice swap in any older car. Pull the trans motor and cumputer and front wiring harness.
Like Chuck says: It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is permission!

I use this moto, it usually does get me in **** though!!

Welllllll, I agree. Ask for forgivness after you bring it home. Then tell her the bennifits of FI and a OD tranny. Cleaner, better burning, fuel effiecnt ride with modern parts for less break downs. :thumbup:
Never, ever ask permission. I sure won't.

Next wife, make sure she understands the hobby/addiction or is into it like mine. Then, you'll have my problems. ("Wheres mine!?!?!)

with the price of steel and the things you will get from it i would take it home and call it an investment.. not a waste of space or time.. yoru one up when you bring it home..

as soon as i find a place to hide a car.. im going to buy another one.. im just like that tho.

Cerwin

:thumbup: ya what he said below me.. :thumbup:

You yank out all the goodies, i.e. driveline motor, trans, rearend, wiring harness, fuel system. Then you call the local fire dept, and ask them if they are looking for vehicles for practice on. They will arrange pickup and tax paperwork for the body. You get the parts and the value for taxes. Or do the same removal and scrap it out. Craigslist it and come out ahead.

You could always tell her you're getting to store all the parts you have laying around so the house will look nice for her.

The IRS changed the law on car donation, if it does not run you only get scrap value which would be nothing after you took out the good stuff.

Chuck

Pull what you want off it and call the hook - done it enough times - junkyards will haul the thing away for nothing - put the title in the glove box - done !

I agree with 66dartgt go get it on a Friday nite and then Sat. morning get your kid and yank the motor/tranny/wires then call the hulk hauler to get it that day. Me and my dad used to do that all the time we could have a car in and out before my mom ever saw it and if she caught us it wouldn't matter cause the car would be gone in 2 hrs anyways.

And if you wait!!! We all know what happens then.core's will be 500 dollar's and a trans will be $1600. :banghead:

Sound's like some good dry storage to me. :toothy7:

-
Back