Should I spring for a 1965 Valiant Signet Convertible?

-

Teratech

Reaction score
I know a person that has a 1965 Valiant Signet Convertible that has offered it to me for $14k.

Most everything is original. It is a cream color with the original black interior (in very good condition) and black top. It's the 4-BBL 273 with auto trans floor shift. The top motor runs, but has a hydraulic fluid leak. The tires are in great shape but over 10 years old.

The guy I am buying it from is the second owner. He has always kept the car garaged and says the original owner also kept it garaged. It's a true survivor in very good condition. The car sat for the last 5 years. It recently had the gas tank, sending unit, battery, rear differential serviced and refurbished/replaced all wheel cylinders.

The car was repainted poorly several years ago. The only rust on the car is from the top leaking into the trunk and that rust is very minor. The car was undercoat when new. All sheet metal in very good, straight condition. This car has some of the parts that are rarely seen. It still has the factory vacuum brake reservoir and the spark plug heat shields.

Is this a good deal? I don't know enough to tell for myself.

Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_20210726_122151568.jpg

IMG_20210726_122212156.jpg

IMG_20210726_122220031.jpg

IMG_20210726_122226522.jpg

IMG_20210726_122300031.jpg

IMG_20210726_122313515.jpg

IMG_20210726_122410739.jpg

IMG_20210726_122657393.jpg

You can offer less and come up if need be. I say if you get it 12 or 13 you are getting a great deal.

4 years ago I bought my 65 Dart GT 273 convertible in running driving condition. Original paint, no rust. The interior wasn't as nice looking as yours. I paid $4200. I think I got a better than average deal looking around now. Hope this helps.

Seems high for a car with a shoddy paint job. Ten year old tires are a safety hazard no matter how good they look. I don’t know what your budget is like, but you can spend $5k in a heartbeat if you can’t work on it yourself.

You might check with Hagerty or Grundy & see what they would insure it for.

Keep in mind that there is a very small market for the pre 67 a body cars, so it is hard to sell & figure out what it is worth. Not trying to be overly negative, but if you don’t have experience with old cars, it can cost you a lot more than the purchase cost.

4 years ago I bought my 65 Dart GT 273 convertible in running driving condition. Original paint, no rust. The interior wasn't as nice looking as yours. I paid $4200. I think I got a better than average deal looking around now. Hope this helps.
Even though I paid so little for it I now have $25k into it. I know I'm upside down but I didn't buy it as an investment anyway.

Seems high for a car with a shoddy paint job. Ten year old tires are a safety hazard no matter how good they look. I don’t know what your budget is like, but you can spend $5k in a heartbeat if you can’t work on it yourself.

You might check with Hagerty or Grundy & see what they would insure it for.

Keep in mind that there is a very small market for the pre 67 a body cars, so it is hard to sell & figure out what it is worth. Not trying to be overly negative, but if you don’t have experience with old cars, it can cost you a lot more than the purchase cost.

Hey Mike, you are not being overly negative. I tried to figure out how to PM you, but I am not real familiar with this site yet. I thought your comments were constructive in terms of pointing out things I was not aware of.

I have a couple of pre 67 Valiants already. Been trying to sell the 1965 Valiant convertible I have that is not in nearly as good as shape. I have advertise that car for as little as $5900 with a recent motor replaced with a remanufactured slant 6 and new top. Had only one person that I talked to considerably, after several months, that expressed interest but within a day or two found something more to their liking.

I know that in addition to the tires being replaced I will have TTT to pay, deal with small amount the rust. the top pump. rams and lines. The seal for the shift cable into the trans is leaking. I have yet to drive that car because it just got the gas tank installed recently. Hope I will get to drive in the next week or two. At least I will not have shipping fees.

I believe that older cars, in marginal shape, will begin to loose value as the price of gas goes up. it cost way too much to get anything done to cars today, particularly old cars. Additionally, the desire for pre-67 Valiants, as the older people who are attracted to those cars pass on. will fade.

I will check into what I could insure it for.

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks!

I agree with what Mike said. I think that's a fair assessment. The paint job and the tires give you some pretty substantial bargaining chips, especially possibly the paint. If it is a shoddy job, then it was quick. Why? Did someone cover up some nasties? I hope not. It looks pretty nice. But if you get it and discover hidden body damage that was repaired poorly, that's a lot of money to get it right. Here's what I recommend. Place a wanted ad in the classified ad section here asking for someone with good experience to go with you and inspect the car. I'm sure someone here would be glad to do it. Throw 12 pack money at um, take um to lunch....whatever. Meet a new friend. I don't say that because I think you don't know what you're lookin at, but another set of eyes......and experienced eyes can be a huge help. Just a thought. If you were local to me in Georgia, I'd go with you just to meet a new friend.

Hey Mike, you are not being overly negative. I tried to figure out how to PM you, but I am not real familiar with this site yet. I thought your comments were constructive in terms of pointing out things I was not aware of.

I have a couple of pre 67 Valiants already. Been trying to sell the 1965 Valiant convertible I have that is not in nearly as good as shape. I have advertise that car for as little as $5900 with a recent motor replaced with a remanufactured slant 6 and new top. Had only one person that I talked to considerably, after several months, that expressed interest but within a day or two found something more to their liking.

I know that in addition to the tires being replaced I will have TTT to pay, deal with small amount the rust. the top pump. rams and lines. The seal for the shift cable into the trans is leaking. I have yet to drive that car because it just got the gas tank installed recently. Hope I will get to drive in the next week or two. At least I will not have shipping fees.

I believe that older cars, in marginal shape, will begin to loose value as the price of gas goes up. it cost way too much to get anything done to cars today, particularly old cars. Additionally, the desire for pre-67 Valiants, as the older people who are attracted to those cars pass on. will fade.

I will check into what I could insure it for.

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Looks to be pretty solid. The minor fixer uppers should be no problem. Didn’t see you mention engine, trans, rear end condition. If those big ticket items are ok I’d scoop it up. Don’t worry about price of fuel, market value. Drive it as is. Don’t worry about the paint. You’ll find a lot of people like the worn look. Can’t put a price on fun. Remember, Shinny paint causes stress.

I agree with what Mike said. I think that's a fair assessment. The paint job and the tires give you some pretty substantial bargaining chips, especially possibly the paint. If it is a shoddy job, then it was quick. Why? Did someone cover up some nasties? I hope not. It looks pretty nice. But if you get it and discover hidden body damage that was repaired poorly, that's a lot of money to get it right. Here's what I recommend. Place a wanted ad in the classified ad section here asking for someone with good experience to go with you and inspect the car. I'm sure someone here would be glad to do it. Throw 12 pack money at um, take um to lunch....whatever. Meet a new friend. I don't say that because I think you don't know what you're lookin at, but another set of eyes......and experienced eyes can be a huge help. Just a thought. If you were local to me in Georgia, I'd go with you just to meet a new friend.

Agree, that’s what this hobby is all about.

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks everyone! I have been on the fence about getting the car. I believe I will pass on it now.

-
Back