Should I trade my swinger for a big block?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
I know of a wicked 600 horsepower 440 motor that has been professionally built with some really good goodies.

The guy will take a partial mopar trade plus cash.

The motor was built for a max wedge type car and I would love to have something like this in the cuda although I am set up with a 273 K member right now and was planning for a killer small block.

I could do the shumacher deal I guess and I have big torsion bars.

I'm kicking around the idea and since I am having trouble with the dart, I could trade up for this motor and get the cuda going all that much sooner.

I know I would miss the dart, but the sound of a 600 horse big block would probably make me forget pretty quick huh? LOL!

Well, should I do it?

I wouldn't trade, keep the Swinger.

The car I have today is my high school car, I've had many offers for the car and thank god I didn't take any of them because I sure wouldn't be able to replace it with the price cars are going for these days. I say hold on to what you have. Be patient, if you want to put a big block in your Cuda just wait, I'm sure a deal will come up and you won't have to give up the Swinger for it. I've seen pictures in a post of your Swinger and it is a really nice car, you should keep it. Just my opinion.

Rich

I agree with brian. That swinger is pretty damn straight and rust free, right? Be harder to replace it than put together a screamin small block.

I couldnt bring myself to trade a car for an engine,you can always build an engine-and there are lots around but finding another nice dart is a little tougher.

most folks dont want 600 hp cars. they want a streetable pump gas friendly classic ride, I wouldnt trade the car for the engine. My 440 puts down 650 at rear wheels and its sooooooo fine but noone but a hardcore racer wants it , stick with your original plan

I have a question :wave:

Just how much money douse it take to get 600hp out of a small block.:scratch:

Don't get me wrong ,your car merits muscel and a BIG BLOCK.:thumleft:
But I would enjoy the small block myself, it's really all in what you
want out of your car,:drinkers:

Keep the Swinger and take the time to small block that fine cuda.:rock:

I remember you had pics of your cuda out with your white dart to "play" not long ago.....that dart looks pretty sweet next to you cuda. If I was you I'd miss that car, you can always build an engine and that way to you'll know what ya got. If you traded your dart for it and the BB broke on you shortly after that would be quite the heart ache(not to mention *** kicker).

Do what a guy in Silver Springs, Fl. did. He found an absolutely gorgeous white 70 Swinger with a black vinyl roof and the houndstooth seats.
Slant Six,auto and air granny car. No rust no dents.. Perfect.
He then stuck a 440 in it...no problem. But then he stuck a set of 413 Long Rams on it. Mini-tubbed it, relocated Super Stock springs and 15x10 small bolt pattern Rallye wheels with about 7 inches of back spacing.
At one of Mopars at Big Daddy's, Dennis Gage just about fell over when he walked by it and saw nothing but those intakes. They gave it about 20 seconds of coverage on My Classic Car. It was an absolute torque terror and the 12.5 inch Hoosier Quick Times street legal slicks got overloaded instantly. And other than the fat back tires, it looked like a really nice 340 Swinger.
Has anybody seen another Long Ram Dart?

Keep The Swinger and stroke a 360. If you go to a big block, you will need new headers and a tranny plus kick down linkage. Then you end up trying to find little odds & ends to put it all together. Your radiator neck on the bottom of the radiator is on the opposite side, so you will have to have that moved or buy a new radiator. It is a big headache if you don't have a parts stash. If I were gonna go BB, I would buy a 400, 440source 500 cu inch stroker kit, and the new aluminum heads they just came out with. You could build a wicked motor for around $5000, and know what is in it.

Why not just build a big block instead of the small block you were planning on? There's not too much difference in cost, 440 source has some great deals on heads, stroker kits, etc.

I have a question :wave:

Just how much money douse it take to get 600hp out of a small block.:scratch:

Don't get me wrong ,your car merits muscel and a BIG BLOCK.:thumleft:
But I would enjoy the small block myself, it's really all in what you
want out of your car,:drinkers:

Keep the Swinger and take the time to small block that fine cuda.:rock:

My buddy's small block makes 620 HP naturally aspirated & he as over 14K into it.

Just kickin around the idea.

I agree, the dart would regrettably missed, and a small stroker was my original plan.

I agree, it would be more trouble going with a BB since my car is set of for a small block.

small block is the way to go IMO at this point in your resto.

you know what is best for your ride. I too have kicked ideas around when I have been stalled on my project. That's how I got the 68 Dart with a 440. I don't know when I'll get to that one, but it will be a fun big block dart. Maybe think about finding a 400 or 440 for the swinger instead. First things first....get that sweet cuda on the road.

-
Back