Should I use epoxy primer here?

-

etngeorge

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
68 Dart- rear window trim clips rusted and found some holes in corners. Passenger side in photo is worse than driver side. Had to clean so much windshield goop that I removed some paint. Could I brush epoxy primer here and not create a problem for a repaint sometime in future? I would like to reinstall clips and window and drive it until budget allows for repaint (by a pro, not me). Many thanks

RW1.jpg

68 Dart- rear window trim clips rusted and found some holes in corners. Passenger side in photo is worse than driver side. Had to clean so much windshield goop that I removed some paint. Could I brush epoxy primer here and not create a problem for a repaint sometime in future? I would like to reinstall clips and window and drive it until budget allows for repaint (by a pro, not me). Many thanks

View attachment 1715595263
Epoxy would defiantly be the way to go but I never brushed it on, and as long as you got all the rust out and stayed out of the rain and keep it dry then that will help. But a good paint over the top of the epoxy would be better. because epoxy was not really made to be in the weather without a top coat.
And remember the rust holes are still there and if you don't seal the holes up it will leak water in the trunk and cause more problems.
Looks not bad at all for being a 68 and if that's the worst of the rust than your doing good.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I would have to do a bit of patching before doing anything else. Really solid car, sat indoors for 25 years or so. A few dents and dings.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I would have to do a bit of patching before doing anything else. Really solid car, sat indoors for 25 years or so. A few dents and dings.

View attachment 1715595263
Personally, I would epoxy prime just about any bare metal on the that I could. If you don't have access to an air compressor and paint gun, I would consider checking out Eastwood. They have an epoxy primer in a spray can (rattle can). It's a two part system that you activate by turning a knob or something on the can to activate. Your car is in waaaaayyy better shape than mine was when I started so good luck with your project!

-
Back