Should math be taught in school ?

-
simply put --yes.
But not to pass a state test-- but an understanding of the concept & the usage of real world situations.
Lawrence

Not to put down the American school system or anything but I have noticed that they don't require much math in public schools at all. The stuff I covered in freshman year of college was the same stuff I remember from 7 and 8 grade in a different country....I went to middle school and some high school somewhere else.

And I don't know why they give kids summer off here, when I was in middle school they didn't give us summers off.....school was a year round deal to give more time to cover more ground.

just an observation

Not to put down the American school system or anything but I have noticed that they don't require much math in public schools at all. The stuff I covered in freshman year of college was the same stuff I remember from 7 and 8 grade in a different country....I went to middle school and some high school somewhere else.

There is a difference in where you go to school. I went to a private school up to grade 2. The math I learned at the private school, wasn't covered in public school until grade 5 or 6. I was bored out of my mind.

gotta love it when you eat out at a restaurant
go up to the counter and I hand the girl my bill and my card
"that will be 32,58 would you like to leave a tip on the card?"

sure, just make it an even 40.00

(about 4 minutes of silence)

"so that's an 8.52 tip..."

close, so close

And I don't know why they give kids summer off here, when I was in middle school they didn't give us summers off.....school was a year round deal to give more time to cover more ground.

just an observation

Not all public schools are bad...

I went to public school and liked math and was good at it. :blob:

My oldest son went to a private Jesuit school in Detroit, and they didn't teach him some of the basics that I was taught. They pushed the kids so hard and go so fast, that some of them can't keep up. Then when they try to get help, the tutor is the same teacher that is leaving them behind and leaves them behind again. :violent1:

My son just had some friends visit last week and they went to a music festival here. They slept in our living room overnight while they were here. I got talking to one of them who went to the same school, just a few years behind my son, and he said that he didn't understand algebra either. The school didn't properly teach them. :finga:

They were giving the freshman kids some Calculus before they even learned the basics of Algebra... And no geometry yet??? WTF? You can't even learn to understand calculus until you have a good solid foundation of Algebra and Geometry. :banghead:

My son has tried to catch up in comm. college, and keeps struggling. :violent1:

Luckily, I moved back where I grew up and got my youngest son in middle school here. He's got a better grasp of algebra than his brother. The public schools here are very good, I'm glad I got him in them before it was too late, and he got behind like his older brother. :D

Don't get me wrong, my oldest son is no idiot. He transferred out here in middle of high school for his junior year, and graduated a semester early with a 3.9 GPA. Then went through UTI Tech with a 3.9 GPA. He's smart enough to get it, he just needs someone that can explain it properly so he can understand it. I'm almost considering taking an Algebra class at the community college with him, so I can keep up with how they are teaching him, and help try to get him back on track.... :banghead:

just an observation

In our neck of the woods, summer off was so the kids could help their families in the field..with farming, every set of hands help. You would have WAR on your hands if you actually tired to make a teacher work like a normal working person with 2 or 3 weeks off...presently, they get over 3 months paid vacation...

I am simply speechless right now! (THAT NEVER happens!) This is the people to be dumbing it down to make those of us, "sheep" as they're the herder/leader....NOT to question, not to wonder, not to learn any more then they want us too, to keep THEIR power, WTF

WOW! They say this country is lacking supporters in 20 years. Parents aren't having kids, WHY? They're worried, to support the family that have, NOT to make it bigger and add to the already present worry, and the government doesn't help they should be creating a way for us all to survive.....But no, they import so much to us as non-standard food and goods, to support another country....Sadly thats what is killing us! We need that stabilization in our economy, I mean I don't have to go in to that but, We once had the "Capitol Steel" production of the world, in Pennsylvania, currently they don't make hardly ANY steel even tho the mills are still there! Detroit was the center for auto's being made, WORLD WIDE! All of this is world wide products! This country was something some years ago, till the trade started with no limits.....INCOMING, and then OUTGOING was charged even more so, and the materials needed were being produced over seas with people not really knowing how or what to do to make a good product, but to them, they have to eat and survive too! But wheres the end?

The end, is when our government closes down the boarders, doesn't allow these companies to import goods at free will and ups the cost to do so, makes local industry boom by needing those "old" materials right here on HOME SOIL.....STOP raising the damned debt ceiling, LOCK that damn thing where it is, and lower it....Cuz then they have to do something!

DON'T charge more to home land business to sell items over seas, LET THEM, thats money, income that will be taxed, you raise it to high and those business? They STOP bring in the 100,000 a day reduced to merely thousands. thats a tax cut right there, they're so into saving a ounce to spend a whole pound to get the job done, how damn bright is that?

Stop raising home owner taxes, and adding higher taxes to the middle class, make it LEVEL across the board. STOP give pay cuts to average Americans making an honest living and STILL struggling to do so, and make that LEVEL across the board. CUT the price given to the wealthy for retirement, that they aren't getting 5 figures a year still. Stop allowing our government to KEEP their salaries well after they're service in office is over, bring them back to "normal" levels of income, NOT continued retirement, they didn't work all that hard in 4 years (5 years max) anyway......

Lighten small business tax to allow them to grown and the "big Business" add a few taxes on to higher rates, to bring them down just a few pegs. STOP buying out companies, let them fold, if they can't make it, to allow NEW growth (YES even our "Big 3")

Now there trying to remove our right to have a weapon? Thats is our rights, thats survival people, come on! When food is unable to be grown, and picked even the Vegetarians, and Vegans will like a slab of fresh bloody meat to eat, specially when they haven't had anything fulfilling in a week.. IT WILL get that bad, if WE let it!

Remember this people, I'm not saying I'm the smartest person, or a real genius, I'm saying if I can SEE whats happening, and can say what needs done to lesson it, OR know of a way to BUILD us as a nation, then I know that the rest of you out there can see it! We vote, those of us old enough too, WE have the power!!!!!

BUT, its like this, what we need? INTERNALLY, not out of our boarders, but within the soil of our country, is to return to where George Washington WAS!!!! NOT with technology, but with our government and how its run, NOT just ONE of them, ALL of them! Put NON-Politics in the place of those currently there, that has a common know how on any one subject, For instance, President.....Makes 50,000 a year and tops out at 90,000. Retired after say 4 years, MAX, and his retirement like the rest of us, is a FRACTION of that, NOT at the rate it is today! None of us are going to make that, EVER why in the hell should HE?

Then safety, close the boarders, NO one in, BESIDES deliveries, NO acceptance to other countries (I'm sorry for those who aren't here and recently came to be helped,) but for Gods sake, we got to help our selves, before we EVER think to help others.....Delivery personel only "hosted" to return to their rightful home with product WE made in our own soil to support OUR livelihood. Safety again, fight only battles we have too, NOT create more. Countries that are fighting within, let them! We aren't the world police! UNLESS it directly involves us as a nation, let it be!

Most of us, have relatives who are Immigrants, or were many years ago....I know, BUT times since then have drastically changed.....Its time all of us take a long hard look at whats become of us, as a nation, as a strong hold, as a union.....YET it keeps getting worse? I read that we go into debt a trillion a DAY? WHO and WHAT are making those sort of promises?

Are fearless leaders are signing checks our *** can't cash! And the Middle class paying for this ****! BUT the rich, and the big shots, get off scott free with nothing to ever worry about, they have a choice, they can and would run right off to another country, to be "safe", when the middle class and never mind the low class, as theres starting to be a invisible line there now....We don't have that choice! Just pick up take what we need and off to another land to make our families safe.....

Lets start making THEM (the rich and big shots) accountable for whats going on too and liable for why its happening instead of letting them go.....Their as much a part of it as we all are!

OK time to end my Rant....I said what each and every one of us here are thinking....WHY fight each other? We need to be strong to make things better, SURE its gonna be difficult on some, and even more difficult for those rich people and the big shots that done whatever to get where they are, BUT they're part of the reason, if not more-so the reason we are, where we are right now!

Lets start making them face the music too!

Rant over......

-
Back