Should math be taught in school ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Miss USA 2011 — Should Math Be Taught In Schools?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBv2CFTSWU"]Miss USA 2011 — Should Math Be Taught In Schools? - YouTube[/ame]

I think this is fake. However, there have been other "Miss something wannabees" that are just about this stupid and ignorant

This is NOT fake, and is the worst I know of........

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww"]Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question - YouTube[/ame]

OMG ...I always believed that I am a dumb girl but after seeing that video, my self -esteem just went up a few notches ......at least I know what the square root of 16 is. :evil3:

Those girls obviously have no clue what real math is and what you can do with it. Next time they pick up their Iphone, tell them that you cant do anything with MATH LOL

They should be teaching more math than ever now a days.With the way things are going,they should be told how to use a calculator correctly,and to be able to do math in your head,so you can be useful in life.And not have to go get a calculator to figure out basic to advance math,to be able to think on your feet,and not depend on a PC to solve the earths problems,mrmopartech

You're never going to use math in your life...

It's not like you have to pay bills and buy things and know how much change you're supposed to get back...

OMG!

I remember in one of the pagents a few years back that one of the brain dead girls from one of the southern states, (Florida I believe), didn't know that Nebraska was a state.

Jack

math is probably the most important subject in school. its everywhere in life. my brother and sister were both math majors, the variety of jobs with that degree is amazing. i must have been th email mans kid or something because i always sucked at math..lol

i agree that first video seems like a fake. the second is just crazy.

its just another language .....a lot of people don't see math as a language but that is all it is and with any language, practice and use makes one fluent.

The way they teach math in Universities now almost makes you wonder if the failure rate is planned to generate more revenue. They don't seem to have any issues with an extremely high failure rate and their solution is to simply "repeat the class" rather than fix the problem. So many people enter college and don't even know basic stuff like completing the square and factoring operations. Makes working a tutor job hard, especially when people don't want to work.....they just want you to give them all the answers :banghead:

They don't start teaching real math until college. There is no reason every middle school age kid shouldn't be doing calculus, its not that hard.

Should math be taught in school ?

Absolutely. The last few years around here when my girls were in school, the teachers told them to do their math homework.

They also explained that getting the correct answer WAS NOT important.

Absolutely. The last few years around here when my girls were in school, the teachers told them to do their math homework.

They also explained that getting the correct answer WAS NOT important.

If those students ever get to be engineers, please let me know which bridges they design so I can steer clear of them!:wack:

If those students ever get to be engineers, please let me know which bridges they design so I can steer clear of them!

Lmao, yeah I couldn't believe it when my girls told me that, so I called the teacher and she confirmed it. Getting the CORRECT answer isn't important. Showing your work as to how you got there, correct or not, IS!

And when they got the incorrect answer they were not marked against for it. Certainly wasn't that way when I was in school. So in essence they graduate high school without knowing basic math.

At least I know why "most" young folks today can't do simple math in their head, like at a store checkout when you throw in some change etc, AFTER they pushed the button.

its just another language .....a lot of people don't see math as a language but that is all it is and with any language, practice and use makes one fluent.

Yup. Used to go round and round with my calc teacher when I kept telling her that calc was nothing more than the language to define physics. As a mathematician she hated that.

.....back a couple years ago I was at a july 1st parade...one of my daughter's class mates was doing a fundraiser by selling food. I bought a pop for $ 1.50. I gave her a 5 dollar bill...she finally aske my how much change she owed me...

Our educational system no longer fails people because they don't want them to fall out of their "pier group"..

the paradox of this is that we are graduation an enormous number of kids with ultra high marks. when I was in school, you had to almost be a deity to get a 85+ mark..this year in my son's graduating class, the highest average was 99.2%....with a boatload of honours with distinction.

I should also mentio that our teachers are probably one of the best paid in our country with an amazing retirement package.. with no requirement to stay current..however, if they do take courses, it results in more bucks..

They first need to teach all the politicians in Washington some math.

They obviously don't know how to balance the budget.....

Having a knowledge of math. Means nothing if you have no desire to use it.

its still good to know......knowledge is like a key ring. the more you know, the more keys you have. The more keys you have, the more doors you can open.

There was a time I didn't think math would do me any good, I just did it because if not my mom threatened to beat me up if I failed any of my classes. After I graduated, I actually had job offers in the math field but the only reason I never took any of those job offers is because I don't want to leave my cow town in Colorado. But if I ever change my mind the key is there to open the door.

So even if kids don't like it or think they don't need it NOW .....well you never know where life will take you.

I told my kids when they were in school that math was the most important subject and to do their best to learn because if not use those skills to make money then they would need to know how to manage and account for it. My Dad was an farmer and excavator before he was killed at age 51. He could go out to a site with engineers to stake off a pond to be built and when they got through shooting elevations and distances after standing around talking a few minutes he would tell them how many yards of dirt would be in the dam. He would figure in his head without pencil and paper. After about 3 days the engineers would finally have to design and their figures would be very close to his. He had be taught shortcuts in school that wasn't even taught when I was in school and I graduated in 1967. Wish I had paid lots more attention to him because I have to use a pen and paper or calculator to figure yardage now, Joe

its still good to know......knowledge is like a key ring. the more you know, the more keys you have. The more keys you have, the more doors you can open.

There was a time I didn't think math would do me any good, I just did it because if not my mom threatened to beat me up if I failed any of my classes. After I graduated, I actually had job offers in the math field but the only reason I never took any of those job offers is because I don't want to leave my cow town in Colorado. But if I ever change my mind the key is there to open the door.

So even if kids don't like it or think they don't need it NOW .....well you never know where life will take you.

Agree. My response was directed at krazykudas comment,

when God was passing out "brains" they thought he said "trains" and said make mine slow and loud.

Lmao, yeah I couldn't believe it when my girls told me that, so I called the teacher and she confirmed it. Getting the CORRECT answer isn't important. Showing your work as to how you got there, correct or not, IS!

And when they got the incorrect answer they were not marked against for it. Certainly wasn't that way when I was in school. So in essence they graduate high school without knowing basic math.

At least I know why "most" young folks today can't do simple math in their head, like at a store checkout when you throw in some change etc, AFTER they pushed the button.

The first paragraph is insane. Being a former math/business instructor at a college, that is beyond stupid.

If you get the wrong answer and don't show your work the result is the same, it's incorrect. Show work get it wrong, same result, incorrect. Showing work is the road map to address corrective measures so you can arrive at the correct result.

Similar to a manufacturing process. If I ask you to get shredded raw plastictransformed into a tupperware bowl and all you do is show me the plastic, then the bowl, I have no idea the processes that took place to arrive at the final product.

I don't believe in the "one way to do things" method or some of the new math that is confusing kids. If you can show me, there are a few ways to get from LA to Vegas, some more direct than others. As long as you arrive at the proper destination, it's good.

Here's one from last year that I tutored my neighbors girl mixing 2 solutions to arrive at a desired solution strength.

The book told them to take each percentage and include it in the formula as a decimal, then further down in the "work", all multiplication, they had them multiply the result by 100. I suggested, don't worry about using the decimal and write the percentage in as the number you see. Gets rid of an additional operation (x 100) where error could occur. Then got her to figure out the ammo, associative property, to address the inevitable critique. You bet the teacher caller her on it and she nailed it. Most every student told her thanks for the shortcut which should have been obvious.

The lack of being able to do simple math to ascertain change is scary. I agree, try giving whole dollars, it gets input into the register, kicks out the change then give change to the remainder to get a whole dollar number. My god, you'd think a pin on a live grenade got pulled...

-
Back