Should you use teflon tape installing an electric fuel pump?

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I'm installing an electronic fuel pump on my '69 Valiant. Holley red - same as the old one I'm replacing. It's is making strange noises (was always loud) although not affecting motor performance and is around 10 years old with maybe 3,000 miles on it. Someone told me NOT to use white teflon pipe tape on the threads as it can break down into small pieces and get stuck in the carb. I would think if that happened the fuel filter would pick it up. Any thoughts?

Any tape should not be down on the threads far enough to be exposed directly to the fuel.

Applied correctly should not cause any issues.

If you use Teflon tape, make sure it doesn't overlap the threads where fuel can come in contact with it. I've used it on pumps for years with no problems, just for peace of mind.

There is a proper Teflon for fuel I believe the package is orange .

No to teflon tape. On anything automotive. Use liquid teflon, Permatex or other, and only on tapered pipe threads. Only apply to the male side and keep it away from the very end couple of threads.

I've never had any problems with teflon tape. We were not allowed to use it on nat. gas fittings "back when I" as others said keep any sealer off the first 2-3 threads.

The problems with teflon tape: First, if you are screwing a fitting into a somewhat fragile aluminum part, the teflon tape can cause the hole to expand so much that the aluminum cracks. Second, when you take a taped thing apart at some later date, you'll find that the tape has shredded and the little stringy pieces can be hard to remove. If that stuff makes its way into your fuel system, it's going to cause problems. It can ruin engines if ingested into to oiling system. The paste/liquid has neither of these problems.

The problems with teflon tape: First, if you are screwing a fitting into a somewhat fragile aluminum part, the teflon tape can cause the hole to expand so much that the aluminum cracks. Second, when you take a taped thing apart at some later date, you'll find that the tape has shredded and the little stringy pieces can be hard to remove. If that stuff makes its way into your fuel system, it's going to cause problems. It can ruin engines if ingested into to oiling system. The paste/liquid has neither of these problems.
Good to know. Thank you

I've used teflon tape for a lot of years, but now I use Permatex #2. It works very well. That said, only on pipe threads of course. Flare fittings require nothing.

-
Back