Should your coil shock you?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
When I was playing with my timing I was zapped! I'm thinking it was from the coil, because I have it next to the distributor.
Is that suppose to happen, or is something not connected properly?

Thanks!

Well, the gauge works great, and the signals now work... so it's on to the next thing.

It CAN. But really shouldnt in most cases. For some reason if i hold the fender of my 73 Swinger and touch the primary + post, I get quite the nice zap. Its more of a pulsing, akin to the chiropractic "Tens" units. I enjoy it a little bit. lol

btw, Faulty or old or badly seat plug wires can for sure give you a 30k Volt jolt. Always be weary when timing your engine. Try and grab the base of the distributor if possible, if not use the cap.

Hows the swap shaping up by the way? I see a couple trouble posts here and there and questions, but i am not aware of a build post (if there is pls link)

Good luck with the rest of your project

Well 73Swing... this should give you an idea...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=81187

It runs, but I'm having some issues (ticking #8 cylinder) and this that and the other thing, as you can see.

It was a small jolt, nothing major. It happened twice now, so it just made me wonder with the coil sitting there if it can jump from the positive post to your hand or something??

Anytime you turn the dist and open the points it will shock you. charge up a condenser some time and grab it!!

I would replace the wires and be sure they are all the way into the cap and coil

Well, I don't have points... but if I did, I'd believe you! :)

It don't matter if it is electronic or points, how do you think it fires! breaking the airgap is the same thing as opening the points!
cluelessib7.jpg

Sure, it can zap you if you're touching the wrong combo of parts, as stated. Was the ground wet?
Run it in the (real) dark and look for arcs and glowing. Jiggle stuff with insulated pliers. That tic on #8 could be an arc, too.

Well not sure that some of the comments are warranted for his response. Seems someone was asking a basic question and was looking for a basic answer.... Thats what this site is about. Learning and teaching.

The answer is yes. It can shock you as others have mentioned. Sometimes in some cases with performance ignitions it can shock the living crap out of you. So be careful.

Sounds like your figuring stuff out. Right on !

-RPM

Thanks RPM! My thoughts exactly! If someone see's problem with the simplicity of question, then I don't see why they'd even waste their time with a reply?
Speedthrills- I thought that same thing, It just seems to simple of a solution, lol! I'll look for new wires today. Although I'm learning more and more how much auto part stores suck! Napa tells me Dusters don't exist! I have to say "Valiant".
I just hate waiting for parts from Summit, but its seeming like the best way to go (other then the waiting).

Thanks RPM! My thoughts exactly! If someone see's problem with the simplicity of question, then I don't see why they'd even waste their time with a reply?

Well, I don't have points... but if I did, I'd believe you! :)

Well seems i answered your post correct the first time, and what was your response? yeh that what i thought!:violent1:

When I was playing with my timing I was zapped! I'm thinking it was from the coil, because I have it next to the distributor.
Is that suppose to happen, or is something not connected properly?

Thanks!

LOL, yep, happened to me twice. The above mention of wires is a good start. The first time it happened to me, the distributor was loose and twisted around. It only would stay running if I had the pedal close to the floor. (Lack of vacuum advanced the time so it would stay lit.)
When I opened up the hood, I happened to be standing in water (Rained preety good) and I leaned over to have a look.

Well, at the same time I discovered the distributor was loose, I got shocked.

LOL again, I understand, some people forget these very basic things are not known and they roll there eys. Take it light, this to shall pass as time goes on. Try not to repeat this yourself years from now when the next rookie pops up asking a question that may seem to you as basic no brainers.

-
Back