shoulder belt anchor location?

-

GupsTateS

Reaction score
I know this must have discussed before but I cant find it. I'm trying to install shoulder belts in a 1968 dart and trying to as little damage to headliner as possible. Can anyone help me out with some measurements or a link to where I can find them? Thanks!

On my Barracuda fastback they are about 3 1/2 inches in front of the coat hook location. Unless you have a hard headliner you should be able to feel the indent.

I think I found it and poked through. It appears just be a hole in a sheet metal brace. Is this correct? How are the shoulder belts attached to this bolt wise?

Thanks

Mine use C-11 seat belt bolts and I put a washer undernesth to keep the belt from bitting into the headliner. The hole should be about 3/8" in diameter. When threading thru the liner do not let any of the liner get into the hole as the threads on the seat belt bolts are real shallow and can get messed up easily if you do not get the bolt properly started. Been there, done that.

On my 68 Cuda Coupe they were right above the junktion of the front and rear winows. The bracket was not drilled to size. I used some shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr. Also, the recoil mechanism for the belt would not fit in the stock location, not enough room between the seat and rocker. I drilled a hole about 6" behind the stock location on the rocker, welded in a nut and renforced it by welding a large fender washer over it.

Another member gave me some brackets he made to relocate the lower mount. If anyone wants them let me know and I will send them along.

Not going with any recoil, just the standard style hold you in place shoulder belts, so should be good there. I'll pick up some c11 bolts, what do i put behind the bracket to secure these bolts to?

On my 68 Cuda Coupe they were right above the junktion of the front and rear winows. The bracket was not drilled to size. I used some shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr. Also, the recoil mechanism for the belt would not fit in the stock location, not enough room between the seat and rocker. I drilled a hole about 6" behind the stock location on the rocker, welded in a nut and renforced it by welding a large fender washer over it.

Another member gave me some brackets he made to relocate the lower mount. If anyone wants them let me know and I will send them along.

pm on the way :)

Well, it looks like maybe my car never had a threaded hole for the seat belt bolts? Is this possible since it's an early 68 model? I just have a fairly large hole, one I can fit my thumb through, on the bracket. Or what I presume is the bracket as my headliner is still mostly on.

Anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to secure the seat belt bolt to this?

Thanks!

On my 70 Duster, I seem to remember 7/16" fine. I still have the old set stored, can check if you need more info.

Thanks for the reply.

I think the hole I'm trying to get a bolt into is more like 3/4" on my car though. The standard bolts don't even come close. Is there anyway to get a nut and washer behind this? Or is there another method to get these secured.

Does anyone have a picture of the shoulder belt location without the headliner installed?

If your shoulder harness setup is complete or not, may be determined by if your car was built for California sale. State of California mandated shoulder harnesses in 1968. My '68 cuda's use standard lap belt bolts, no retractor. Free end is held in place by a elastic strap and snap.

If your shoulder harness setup is complete or not, may be determined by if your car was built for California sale

Not correct. The requirement for shoulder harnesses was among the first Federal motor vehicle safety standards, applied to all vehicles built on or after 1/1/68. This was in the middle of the 1968 model year, so some early-production '68 vehicles have shoulder belts (and head restraints, and sidemarker lights or reflectors) while others do not, but all those built after 1/1/68 do.

Thanks for the clarification. Memory is getting a little hazy. Is why I love this site. An interesting side note, my late '68 production (June '68) has a passenger side headrest delete on the window sticker. Rather strange for a safety item.

-
Back