Show me your big blocks!!!

-

71dodge

ADDICTED.
Reaction score
hey i am anxious to see what my car is gonna look like with a 383 do you have a pic of your engine compartment with a 383 in it and is it possible with maybe inches to spare to run power steering ?? and i have a 71 dart but any pics will do just fine any big block A body pics you may have i wanna see thanks

I dont think power steering is an option. Didn't you have a manual box? If not I have one.
I think your power brakes are a no go as well. But I am not positive.

crap i hope somthing will work i just dont think i can drive with out power sterring lol

I ran the power steering in my '71 Dart Swinger with no problems. It had a 440 in it. I'll see if I can find the engine compartment pictures.

now how in the heck do you change your spark plugs?? lol what a job that must be

I don't know where my pictures are, but these all have p/s, and are in the thread that was posted above.

6 (Small).JPG

0216.JPG

PC130003.jpg

PC130004.jpg

how do you not run fender well headers that must suck changin plugs i heard you have to pull the motor unless you have fender wells is that true

so i can run power steering just not power brakes?

so i can run power steering just not power brakes?

Not sure about the brakes.

I believe doug's and tti make the under chassis big block headers... cept they aren't cheap so expect to spend a LOT of money on headers. Fenderwells are the only other option I believe. It's true that it's easier to change plugs with the fenderwells, but it isn't impossible with regular headers.

I had PS in my 73 Duster with a 440 and later a 400. Was back before this was so popular, Me and my dad did the swap with no pwer tools, not even a bench grinder, low buck stuff. Used schumacer mounts, spool k-frame, couldnt afford headers, so i got a set of 65 c-body 383 manifolds, had the drivers side angle-milled at a machine shop to give me more clearance at steering box. I think we shimed the gear box a little also to give a little more room also, shaved down the steering coupler on the edges for extra clearance, with a hand file no less!. Later in my demon i used the cheap b-body headmen headers and its much easier and better performing, but i had already changed to manual steering so i cant tell you if it would work or not, people prob tell you no but people say alot of things!

Than take the inner fender wells out.

Yup. Thats what I'l be doing! I think power brakes may be possible with an offset brake master like used on the Hemi Darts to clear the valve covers.

Something I saw which very much interested me was called a hydroboost system. It runs off the power steering pump and uses no engine vacuum,is used on all sorts of cars/trucks/jeeps. I myself have no experience but find the idea interesting.

http://www.vancopbs.com/

Dont cut the inners out I thought about it for awhile and didnt like the look and the mess it makes unless you make wheel fenders like the prowler but if you like mud and stone chips go for it (I dont like to see solid old cars chopped to ****) but yes you can run PS and I am pretty sure power brakes also I have seen guys cut a 1 inch holw on the driver side near the fire wall so they can run the tools to the plugs from outside the engine bay. But I would run manual steering and brakes they are not that tuff to use... My 2 cents

With a 383/400 power steering is not a problem and neither are the spark plugs to change. I have 1 plug on the drivers side and passenger side that I cut down a socket, to the minimum length, to do the job. Forget fenderwells and go with Schmachers or TTI's (Schmachers are the easiest but a little more restrictive). Get yourself an offset booster housing and you can have power brakes also but I get along just fine with manual disc and drums.

Terry

9.jpg

-
Back