show me your homebuilt body rotisseries

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
title says it all

show me your homebuilt body rotisseries. not looking to see any $1400 store built stuff, just stuff built up from scratch by our talented FABO members. i have some ideas of my own, and the fabrication skills to pull it off, possibly even on the cheap. but its nice to see other ways of doing the same thing, maybe even better than the ideas im thinking of using.

if you have a custom rotisserie setup to turn the body, or mount it to the body, etc show it off. i love the creativity everybody has on this site, there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

take some good pix so everybody can see your handiwork, and if you have any important technical advice about how you built it please share it with us.

thanks
matt

Surely theres some talented folks here on FABO who have custom made their rotisseries for their restorations that are willing to share their pix and ideas.

here's mine, the upright post are actually a landing gear from a tractor trailer, so I can raise and lower the car to my liking. Not veiwable in the pic. but it also has flanged 1 1/2 bearings that the shafts piviot on, and it makes it really easy to turn the car. I also used 4 steel swivel casters so it's easily pushed around in the shop. The whole thing cost me 200.00 ( steel tubing) and a couple days to build. I built it very heavy duty with heavy wall 3" square tubing. I'v had several cars on it, and it works great ! I'v had guys asking me to build them one just like it. I know a guy who tried to build one out of two engine stands.......it was scary looking, and his mustang he had mounted on it, broke it, and he ended up with a lot of damage to his car.

Attachments

• my duster 047 (Large).jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 554
Crude but effective. All mopar parts. Capable of going off road :)

Attachments

• rotis.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 792
  • rotis front.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 533
  • rotis rear.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 529
These are very cool rotisseries. I really need to make one. I like the stop wheel on the end of the one to keep it in position. having the car wheels on the other one are a good idea too ..I have access to a pair of dodge omni 4 bolt front hubs w bearings . I was thinking of trying to use these as the bearings to rotate the body. Just got to figure out a way.

Matt

good ideas hemiorange i am getting some good stuff from everybody. i like the adjustable ness of yours. great photos.

These are very cool rotisseries. I really need to make one. I like the stop wheel on the end of the one to keep it in position. having the car wheels on the other one are a good idea too ..I have access to a pair of dodge omni 4 bolt front hubs w bearings . I was thinking of trying to use these as the bearings to rotate the body. Just got to figure out a way.

Matt
I used a set of trailer hubs as the rotating assembley for mine. Works almost too well. Had to add some drag to it because when you gave the car a spin it would go around a cople of times. I will have to see if I can get my buddy to take some pics of it. It is up at his house with his 37 on it now.

Got one coming from a buddy who doesn't need it anymore. He built it for his challenger, and tells me it's useable on my Sattie. I'll get pics soon.

Ok, i got some nice heavy 2&1/2" x 1/8" thick legs, 6 to be exact with heavy duty metal wheeled swivel castors on them. My work let me have them. I went by my buddys place and looked at his rotisserie, specifically the rotating assembly. He used 4 lug plymouth horizon rear spindles, and hubs. I was going to go to the junky and get a set for mine yesterday, but it rained really hard the night before. Dont want to deal with working in a sloppy mess.

The new question i need to ask is when you make your body attachments to mount the car to the rotisserie, do you make them to position in the exact center of the car.

What im talking about is NOT exact center left to right, but the exact center from bottom to top. The reason im asking this is that when you mount the car to it do you end up with a heavy side that always wants to be on the bottom? How do you figure out where to position the ends so the body stays balanced?

Not sure if i asked this question the right way or just confused everybody with my question.

I understand your question....so, to answer it.....just bolt your car to the bumper mounting holes in the frame. It's not completely balanced, and the car is slightly top heavy, but not so bad as you can't spin the car pretty eaisly. Thats why I made the wheel with all the holes on mine, so I can pin it in any position.

I figured the car would be a bit top heavy. I was going to make my mounts about 6" to 8" above the bumper centerline. I was also thinking about using a chevy flexplate / flywheel from an automatic, with maybe a boat cable winch without the cable, just using the gearbox so i can crank it around, and lock the winch where i want the body to stop at. As long as the teeth mesh correctly this could work.

Thanks for the help.
MattMatt

Take a look at mine and you will see the attachments are built to place the center of rotation roughly at the center of the car.

You need this for two reasons. Yes it will want to rotate to the heavy side. Mine has enough turn resistance to stay put in any position because it is roughly balanced.

The other reason is you want the distance from center of rotation to the roof and floorpans about the same so when you rotate, you have the same ground clearance. This keeps your distance from ground to center of rotation as low as possible. It may never be necessary to rotate completely around with the roof to the ground, but I think its wise to center it anyway.

-
Back