Shredding belts.

-
QUOTE: " Does anyone know if they make a clutch for the 7 blade that was built to be direct drive? Mine has a little center hole."

When a thermostatic fan clutch gets hot enough, it essentially becomes direct drive. At which point, you will be back to the same problem.

When the engine is at idle, the accessory drive belts should have enough traction on the crankshaft pulley to almost stall the engine if the load is great enough, without the belt slipping. Oh, and by the way, the crankshaft pulley is the only drive pulley in the system, all the others are driven from it. The work of driving each accessory is completely handled by the crank pulley, not whichever pulley is next in line according to the belt rotation.

I honestly still firmly believe your slipping issue is on the crank pulley, not the driven pulleys. You won't be able to tell unless you take it off and measure it carefully. As little as 1/32" of wear on each face of the V will cause belt slippage under load.

If you must retain the original crank pulley, then I would go to electric fans and be done with it. Best of luck with it, whatever you decide.

just did a few 1/4 mile runs and some normal driving. That 4 blade kept things under 180f. Might just see how it goes with that. Seem small but its 80+ outside right now. Anyone know if a 4 blade was ever on a 360??

Think there is a 5 blade mopar fan with big pladdles that will move more air than the 4 blade, yet spin easier than the 7.

I used to have to run my power steering belt TIGHT! Like the belt was so tight the back of the belt would cup as it went around the pulley. If not it would pitch it at 6300-6400 rpm. Same for the water pump belt. Finally went to under drive pulley and it stopped throwing them. Never had any issues because they were really tight and back then I drove it on the street. Did you jack up the front and start the car to see if it self steers?

-
Back