Sick of Autozone and Checker.

-
They just need experience and training. toolman

Ah, but that would mean caring about your job ;)

Seriously, I normally consider my attitude when entering such an establishment. Be a pompous *** and you'll get treated like one ( i know I have been ). Usually I'll tell the person behind the counter the part number I'm looking for then ask them what it fits. (good for a few strange looks and even some questions). The guys at my local AZ know me by now and don't question me other than the "what are you working on now?" stuff and they are normally very interested in the retrofit of the week.

I have noticied, that NAPA and Carquest have been lowering the quality of their parts, and Advance has been carrying the better quality parts as an option.

?????????????????????
Oh! AHHHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHHHAHhhhhhhhAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
It was a funny, right?

Having been in the auto parts business for close to 30 years I have seen the many changes that have occured. When I started out I was only allowed to check in the freight, put up stock and run deliveries for 6 months! That was so that when it came time to "learn the counter" I would not make a fool of myself and make the store look bad. In those 6 months I learned the brand names and location of every part we carried. I was also told to practice looking up parts for my own and family member cars to get the hang of it. I continued that method when I became a store manager and hired "new" people. Now a days they got you on the counter the first day and the customers get the impression that the guy behind the counter doesn't know what he's doing which is true.

Ya its the same pretty much everywhere. They need to hire mechanics as there parts counter guys!:cheers:
I wish every mechanic would spend a day trying to do what I do! Then maybe when they call for a part they would know why we need so much information. I don't know how many times a shop would call for a price quote on brake parts and have to go back and "look" to see if it has ABS or not!
Have the VIN and production date ready for mid-year production changes and don't get mad at me because I can't tell you if the 98 S10 your working on has the $9.00 fuel filter or the $65.00 one if it is a flex fuel model. If the car was in my parking lot I would look for myself, but it's not so work with me! Don't get me wrong. If you need small block valve cover gaskets... no problem, I'll walk back and get them, but this late model stuff is getting harder to figure out every year.

Autozone is a high volume outfit... They don't care that they don't offer good service, simply because they have many locations that sell the basics like filters and oil, and make good money off of it... They pay their staff minimum wage, so expect minimum expertise... I personally can't stand those places, and when I don't buy my parts online, I go through a local chain that only has 5 or so locations... Their guys actually KNOW about cars...
Never used to be that way. I was recruited by AZ in 1998 along with 6 other "counter pro's" for a new store in town. We had almost 100 years combined experience at that store and were paid very well for the times, and our store sales and national ranking showed it. Customer service was top priority in the early days. I don't know how many thousand batteries I changed out in the parking lot in a hot Fla. summer, or how many wiper blades I replaced that only seem to "wear out" in the pouring rain. In only 5 years I saw the focus switch to keeping the stockholders happy by cutting costs (payroll) and service! My last day was spent helping inventory a nearby store. The DM was singing Christmas carols.... I was singing "Take this job and Shove it"!!!

I have the same problem.... but in my dealership! I work at the #1 Infiniti dealer in the country and we have guys in parts making $10 an hour, and produce a comparative knowledge of the product. And I'm not talking about mid-year production changes or heavy duty or high performance stuff. I asked one the the guys for an 8 X 1.25 mm nut and he gave the same blank stare I would expect from my dog if I asked her the same question....

$10 an hour.... You get what you pay for.

* I understand that in some areas of the country $10 is a good hourly wage. We charge $130 an hour for labor in the shop. Do the math on who's making the coin.*

I usually go to the web sites and pull up the part#s online and then call to verify in stock. Then they can ask you all the stupid stuff while they have the part in hand! LMAO

Well I can honestly say that I agree with you 150% Badart. I am a mechanic full-time for Fedex and due to health problems that my wife has I had to get a second job and of all places I landed one at Hellzone (sorry autozone). I can't stand the way this company operates and how the corporate office (which by the way is like a 15-20 minute drive from my store because they are based here in Memphis) thinks that all of the customers are stupid and think that they will believe every last word that comes out of the dumbasses mouths that don't really know anything about cars. My store manager is the absolute worst. Anytime I go outta my way to try and help a customer with a big problem I get in trouble. Case in point: I had a guy come to the store one Saturday and he is out of down on business about 3-6 months at a clip. When he does get to be home he tries to spend as much time as he can with his 3 kids. Well this one Saturday he promised to take his kids to Chucky Cheese and then to the Zoo and the Movies. Well he got into his Suburban and it wouldn't start. He gets to autozone with it and the battery is just about completely dead. I get him fixed up with a battery and then we notice the battery light is on. Low and behold the alternator is fried. Well now he is trying to explain to his kids (ages 3-7) that he is gonna have to break his promise to them. They start to get upset when I tell him that I can install the alternator for him and it won't take but maybe 20-30 minutes to knock out. So I get him all fixed up with that and he is very appreciative and I bacame his kids new best friends and he went on his way. Well I get back into the store and my boss starts tearing me up one side and down the other for putting the alternator in. I try to explain the situation to him and all he wants to tell me how it's against policy and that I could possibly be fired for it. Funny part of it is, is that my District Manager calls about 30 minutes later and tells my manager what a great job I did because apparently the guy I helped is a good friend of the CEO of the company. I still work there (unfortunately) but all I can do is laugh everytime I hear one of my idiot co-workers give the wrong information to people everyday. Oh yeah and as far as pay is concerned I break myself in half for the whole $8.67 an hour I get to work there. Hell that's not even half of what I make at Fedex to turn wrenches and I work almost as many hours at Autozone as I do at Fedex. And what really irritates me is the fact that I'm the only one that has both gone to school and has hands on experience in the field and I get paid like I'm some fresh hich school graduate needing a part-time job to get through school.

Notice one thing in the thread? NAPA and Carquest. One of the reasons for this is that they are both locally owned franchises, hardly any corporate stores left. Most of the franchise owners have been in the parts business for years and have worked their way up to ownership. They understand that customer service is what is going to keep them in business.
As for Advance, I've got a commercial account with my local store (as well as NAPA and Carquest) and am able to by-pass the front counter. Advance usually does a good job of hiring former techs and/or experienced parts pro's for the commercial counter.
Personally, I like to use the big block Mopar oil pan gasket test when dealing with a new parts store.

Me: "I need price and availability of an oil pan gasket for a big block Mopar"

Jamie at NAPA: "that'll run you..."

Jay at Carquest: "that'll be..."

Don at Advance (commercial pro): "your cost is...and I can have it here by 1:00"

dumbass at AZ: "what year, make and model is that?"
me: "pick one"
dumbass: "I need a year, make, and model to look it up on the computer..."
Might be true in your area but locally over a dozen NAPAs and all but one Carquest have all been bought out by corporate. They are "retailing" the look of the stores, staying open late and opening up on sunday! They're moving employees around with no consideration for how long you have been at that store or your customer base you have established!

honestly i will NEVER go to a chain auto parts store EVER. i have a GREAT parts store down the road from me. if your near huntington (NY) id be happy to get the adress and phone number for you. but if your only options are these chain stores id just go to rock auto. i have had my orders messed up there once but the customer support is GREAT. i have never had a problem with them otherwise. they are the best online store and cheap to boot! its a much better option than napa or advanced or pepboys or anything like that. IMHO.

?????????????????????
Oh! AHHHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHHHAHhhhhhhhAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
It was a funny, right?
Sad but true! Advance is now selling Moog chassis, Wagner brakes, Fel-Pro gaskets just to name a few, and with their buying power they can put a hurting on the little guys if it comes down to a price war. It is also true about the quality of parts, not only NAPA and Carquest, but every where! Try and find a brake rotor NOT made in China unless it is old stock! Wagner was the last holdout and they have since gone to China. I'm getting parts back for warranty that I have never had problems before! And it's killing our economy too!

I have the same problem.... but in my dealership! I work at the #1 Infiniti dealer in the country and we have guys in parts making $10 an hour, and produce a comparative knowledge of the product. And I'm not talking about mid-year production changes or heavy duty or high performance stuff. I asked one the the guys for an 8 X 1.25 mm nut and he gave the same blank stare I would expect from my dog if I asked her the same question....

$10 an hour.... You get what you pay for.

* I understand that in some areas of the country $10 is a good hourly wage. We charge $130 an hour for labor in the shop. Do the math on who's making the coin.*
$130.00 an hour for the "shop". How much of it does the the mechanic get?
P.S. If the guy behind the counter doesn't know what a 8x1.25 mm nut is he shouldn't working the counter no matter what he's making!

HAHAHA, this is so funny! I just came from the Old Tractor forum and there's a 2 page rant about AutoZone over there too.
As stated above, when I started in the parts business, it was the same 6 months delivering parts and stocking shelves to learn.

I love the way that Autozone automaticly gives you anti-seize without asking with every spark plug purchase. I have 4 oz. containers that I bought for nothing, if I didn't I would buy a 4 oz. container instead of their little over priced package.
Now every time I walk in it is fuel treatment no matter what I buy.

There is a new AZ employee here that I would like to rip his head off and S**T down his neck. He can't even use the computer very good and is a know it all to boot.

sorry but this rant is so old and overdone i,m getting tired of hearing it. We as car guys need to know how to get what we want. it aint that hard. just tell them what to put in the computer. when i need parts for my 53 dodge pickup i tell them a 79 dodge pickup cause i have a 440 and when i need something else i tell them the latest model i know that uses the same part. if you ever build a rod you will have to learn this. cant expect counter people to be car guys on what they make they gotta ride the bus. give them a break and learn how to get what you want.

And now a word from the other side of the counter:

You would be amazed how many times customers come in, and not only do they NOT know what year their car is, they don't know the model, and some even don't know the brand. Brakes are my favorite. I asked a guy what the gross vehicle weight rating of his truck is. His reply, it's a 1500. I explained to him what GVW rating meant. His reply, "Look buddy, it's a gd 1500."

Then there was the guy who needed brakes for an F-250. I asked him what the gross vehicle weight of the truck was. His reply? "What the f$@# does THAT matter? I've driven that truck to Florida three times!" (Yes, I am DEAD SERIOUS)

Are some of the guys behind the counter idiots? Absolutely. Does the guy behind the counter make mistakes? You bet. But 80% of the time, it's because he assumed that the customer actually knew what hell he was working on. So many people think the date on the door post is the model year. It's the "born-on" date. The title, VIN, or emissions sticker tells what year the vehicle is. What year is a PT Cruiser built in December, 1999? It's a 2001, and no, I'm NOT an idiot because I can't find spark plugs for a 1999 PT Cruiser. There is no such car as a 1999 PT Cruiser. And by the way, dumbass, if you put a 1999 Corvette engine into a 1947 Ford pick up, then you need to be getting engine parts for a Corvette, not a Ford. And if you're using a different distributor you might want to let me know about that too when you buy a distributor cap and rotor. And, by the way, don't ask for parts for a "350". They didn't just build one, you know. And what makes them different is, wait a minute, let me think........ Oh, Yah, it's the PARTS they build it from. And if you assume your engine is standard bore, and lie to me when you assure me that you have checked, then you may ALSO assume that the pistons I sell you are going to be wrong. You're right. That makes me an idiot.

Then there's the people who think that a counterman with a $150 code scanner can diagnose a car's problem. Look buddy, there's a reason why this is free and a dealer charges $100 to do this. Scanning a code is the first step in diagnosing the problem. The second step involves months of training and a heck of a lot of experience and documentation.

No, I don't know what sized tool it takes to remove your crankshaft position sensor. No, I don't rent screwdrivers and combination wrenches. No I don't sell brake pads individually. No, I don't know why they don't make re-useable gaskets.

And, for God's sake, don't get all pissy when you ask for a part for your 72 A Body. Frankly, that's an "inside baseball" term. Can you tell me what a "J" car is, or an "LM" car is? And while we're at it, are you talking about a GM A body, or a Mopar A Body?

sorry but this rant is so old and overdone i,m getting tired of hearing it. We as car guys need to know how to get what we want. it aint that hard. just tell them what to put in the computer. when i need parts for my 53 dodge pickup i tell them a 79 dodge pickup cause i have a 440 and when i need something else i tell them the latest model i know that uses the same part. if you ever build a rod you will have to learn this. cant expect counter people to be car guys on what they make they gotta ride the bus. give them a break and learn how to get what you want.
very cool of u i am a parts guy been 1 for 15 years and still learning

You would be amazed how many times customers come in, and not only do they NOT know what year their car is, they don't know the model, and some even don't know the brand. Brakes are my favorite. I asked a guy what the gross vehicle weight rating of his truck is. His reply, it's a 1500. I explained to him what GVW rating meant. His reply, "Look buddy, it's a gd 1500."

Then there was the guy who needed brakes for an F-250. I asked him what the gross vehicle weight of the truck was. His reply? "What the f$@# does THAT matter? I've driven that truck to Florida three times!" (Yes, I am DEAD SERIOUS)

Are some of the guys behind the counter idiots? Absolutely. Does the guy behind the counter make mistakes? You bet. But 80% of the time, it's because he assumed that the customer actually knew what hell he was working on. So many people think the date on the door post is the model year. It's the "born-on" date. The title, VIN, or emissions sticker tells what year the vehicle is. What year is a PT Cruiser built in December, 1999? It's a 2001, and no, I'm NOT an idiot because I can't find spark plugs for a 1999 PT Cruiser. There is no such car as a 1999 PT Cruiser. And by the way, dumbass, if you put a 1999 Corvette engine into a 1947 Ford pick up, then you need to be getting engine parts for a Corvette, not a Ford. And if you're using a different distributor you might want to let me know about that too when you buy a distributor cap and rotor. And, by the way, don't ask for parts for a "350". They didn't just build one, you know. And what makes them different is, wait a minute, let me think........ Oh, Yah, it's the PARTS they build it from. And if you assume your engine is standard bore, and lie to me when you assure me that you have checked, then you may ALSO assume that the pistons I sell you are going to be wrong. You're right. That makes me an idiot.

Then there's the people who think that a counterman with a $150 code scanner can diagnose a car's problem. Look buddy, there's a reason why this is free and a dealer charges $100 to do this. Scanning a code is the first step in diagnosing the problem. The second step involves months of training and a heck of a lot of experience and documentation.

No, I don't know what sized tool it takes to remove your crankshaft position sensor. No, I don't rent screwdrivers and combination wrenches. No I don't sell brake pads individually. No, I don't know why they don't make re-useable gaskets.

And, for God's sake, don't get all pissy when you ask for a part for your 72 A Body. Frankly, that's an "inside baseball" term. Can you tell me what a "J" car is, or an "LM" car is? And while we're at it, are you talking about a GM A body, or a Mopar A Body?
hell yes good man 100%

look up 1 post. i was on the same rant you are

I think that you need to look at my post again. I never called anyone an idiot working behind a parts counter. I remember a day when you could go to the parts counter and actually get advice from someone there about working on a car. I just think that some people are in the wrong line of work. Maybe McDonalds is hiring. A computer tells them what to do there also.
I am an industrial mechanic and I have minutes to diagnose a problem and repair it or it cost us thousands of dollars every few minutes. The job takes dedication to learn the parts and the machinery and I take pride in that because it is what I get paid to do and I get paid pretty well because I am good at it.
All that I am saying is I just hate it when some kid gives too s$%^'s if you get home with the correct parts or not. I don't care if he is making $7 dollars an hour, it is what he or she has chosen to do. Show a little pride in your work and learn your job that is all I am asking.
I am sure that all of this comes back to the big corporation and thier policies. If they want to sell oil and filters then sell just oil and filters, but the last time I checked they have many other parts too. Just venting.

Well said! Don't forget about the "boat people" who won't tell you it's a marine application. "Just give me a set of points for a 89 chev. 350". When I ask him if you put this "chev" on the water, will it float only then will they admit that it's for a boat! Then they give you the blank stare when you when you ask what dist. they have, mallory, prestolite,delco.....! Just remember, Wrong information gets Wrong parts, Correct information gets Correct parts, NO information gets NO parts!!!

Well said! Don't forget about the "boat people" who won't tell you it's a marine application. "Just give me a set of points for a 89 chev. 350". When I ask him if you put this "chev" on the water, will it float only then will they admit that it's for a boat! Then they give you the blank stare when you when you ask what dist. they have, mallory, prestolite,delco.....! Just remember, Wrong information gets Wrong parts, Correct information gets Correct parts, NO information gets NO parts!!!

Then, please, by all means, come and work for the local AZ on the commercial desk. You can force feed that guy with all the info he needs and still get the wrong part. GM 2500 Express van with an 8600# GVW needs rear brakes and he sends up front rotors for a half ton. Wheel bearings for a '95 Aspire (these are tapered bearings!) and he sends up a pressed in bearing for a Taurus. Or needing a radiator for a '99 F150 with a 4.2L V6 and getting a rad for a '89 Ram D150. And then having to wait 2 days for the rad that I ordered for the F150 because he typed in the wrong freakin' vehicle and explaining that to the customer! Or, as I've pointed out, the ever lovin' balljoints for a McPherson strut car. "Uppers or lowers," is always the question. If you can find uppers I wanna see 'em.
Look, if it's someone on the front counter I'll cut 'em some slack, especially on older vehicles. Chances are they do need a little help. I have no problem with that. But the guy on the commercial desk should be expected to know his s***, especially if I'm writing a quote for the customer, giving all the information I have available: MY, DOM, GVW, even VIN. And I have him repeat the info back to me. And still get the wrong part. Now it's costing me as a technician money and the shop money in lost productivity.

I love the way that Autozone automaticly gives you anti-seize without asking with every spark plug purchase. I have 4 oz. containers that I bought for nothing, if I didn't I would buy a 4 oz. container instead of their little over priced package.
Now every time I walk in it is fuel treatment no matter what I buy.

There is a new AZ employee here that I would like to rip his head off and S**T down his neck. He can't even use the computer very good and is a know it all to boot.

I know what you mean about these guy's who don't their head from their butthole I ask for a thermostat choke for my /6 they hand me a choke pulloff and I say that's not I ask for they say " That's what the computer shows!" Another time after I put disc brake's on my 63 valiant I goofed and ask for pad's the disc brake's for a 63 my mistake the terd about 23 year's old said They didn't have them I said sorry I need them for a 75 dart He said :angry7: You can't put disc brake off a 75 dart on a 63 valiant " I told i had done it he still didn't belive me I was starting to get pissed at this point and said the car is right outside take a look:angry7::angry7::angry7: HE WENT AND CRAWLED UNDER MY CAR He said I had to jerryrig it I was totaly balistic now HE had the nerve to tell me that you couldn't do that kind of stuff without weaking the subframe of the car:angry7::angry7::angry7::angry7: I bit my tounge to keep from hitting him with a tire iron. I went back inside and spoke to the manger a mopar man by heart:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:. HE looked at the guy and made him apologise, later I found he fired him the same night for smartmouthing another custermor:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

or i need valve cover gaskets for a small block chevy what year pick a year they are all the same i always get the wrong year lol

-
Back