Sidepipes?

-
Did someone wax that chevelle in the snow????

Actually, I know a few"old timers" that swear by coating the crap out of their cars with wax and leaving it on when they store them. They say it keeps insects as well as "varmits" from even attempting to get into the car and burrow into the seats etc for winter shelter. Im not saying that this works or doesnt work, but seeing that Chevelle coated with wax in the snow is something Ive seen before in person.

I ran them for years on that Scamp as my daily driver rain, sun or snow and I never burned my leg once (thats why they have heat shields). You can still get them new from Summit for around 200 bucks.
I was running a pair of stock truck manifolds on a 360 and just made up some tubes that connected to the side pipes.

Actually, I know a few"old timers" that swear by coating the crap out of their cars with wax and leaving it on when they store them. They say it keeps insects as well as "varmits" from even attempting to get into the car and burrow into the seats etc for winter shelter. Im not saying that this works or doesnt work, but seeing that Chevelle coated with wax in the snow is something Ive seen before in person.

Yup! If your going to store a car outside or in one of those crappy tent covers give it a real thick coat of wax first.

I personally LOVE side pipes.....I think they look tough...but everyone will have an opinion.

one of our members here I seen has a set on there a-body but I cant remember who the heck it was.](*,)

I looked into doing them on my duster.....only problem is....I am running long tube headers .....and for side pipes to be mounted in a location far enough forward so they wouldnt look stupid....I would have had to make a comple "S" bend in my exhaust in order to connect my long tubes to the side pipes and I didnt want to put all those bend in the pipe and sacrifice the lack in HP.

my brother had a 6.6 77 trans am bandit look alike and he put side pipes on it and had to do the same thing i just mentioned....looked cool as $H!T but it lost alot of power because of it.

you will either have to run shortys headers,move the side pipes back away to make a straight connection,get rid of the side pipe idea, or go for it and hope there isnt a noticeable power loss in your system.

but I agree...they look SWEET!

I personally LOVE side pipes.....I think they look tough...but everyone will have an opinion.

one of our members here I seen has a set on there a-body but I cant remember who the heck it was.](*,)

I looked into doing them on my duster.....only problem is....I am running long tube headers .....and for side pipes to be mounted in a location far enough forward so they wouldnt look stupid....I would have had to make a comple "S" bend in my exhaust in order to connect my long tubes to the side pipes and I didnt want to put all those bend in the pipe and sacrifice the lack in HP.

my brother had a 6.6 77 trans am bandit look alike and he put side pipes on it and had to do the same thing i just mentioned....looked cool as $H!T but it lost alot of power because of it.

you will either have to run shortys headers,move the side pipes back away to make a straight connection,get rid of the side pipe idea, or go for it and hope there isnt a noticeable power loss in your system.

but I agree...they look SWEET!

thats why I was running the truck manifolds, I didn't want the underside of my car to look like a big tangled mess of exhaust and it would have shoved the pipes too far back.

When they measure the pipes they go from the edge of the bend where it comes out from the fender to the end of the opening and you want to center it under your door so you have even amounts in front of and behind the door.

like 360scamp said .....manifolds would do the job to......get a nice set of factory style manifolds ( or shortys ) and you shouldn't have much trouble with routing exhaust.

I say go for it if its the look your going for.

have you tried searching abody side pipe youtube videos? and leaving comments/messaging the video poster to see what itis they are running?

just a thought

like 360scamp said .....manifolds would do the job to......get a nice set of factory style manifolds ( or shortys ) and you shouldn't have much trouble with routing exhaust.

I say go for it if its the look your going for.

have you tried searching abody side pipe youtube videos? and leaving comments/messaging the video poster to see what itis they are running?

just a thought

Good idea! I didnt think of that. I just thought Id ask my FABO family first is all:cheers:

I plan on running those bitchin' block huggers that headman sells now:-D

I like the positioning of yours 360scamp any longer and they'd look stupid
DSC03709.jpg
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

How about these vintage (70's) Thrush Outsiders.

View attachment 182759

They sell regularly on Ebay for between $250 - $400.

They are cool too! But im still wanting the measurements of what looks right on an A-body. I dont wanna buy a set of 79"ers and them be like ontop of the rear wheels looking crappy.

I just looked all through youtube and couldnt find a single video of an A-body with them :sad11:

Heres a different style......look like custom jobbers. I like the look of these over the full length ones depending on the car,,,,,just an idea.

1970PontiacFirebird_01_700.jpg

I like the Thorley Style definitely from the 70's
Patriot has some of the same style for 250 bucks
that im looking at for the Dart

I was running the ones from Patriot. They weren't loud at all at idle (40 over 360 with a 340ish cam) , when you romped on it they opened up pretty good and I could still hear my radio on the freeway, unlike the single flowmaster on my truck with a beefed up slant.

You must be confusing the TA and AAR exhaust with something else. The TA exhaust does not route over the axle but rather exits the muffler in the front and is then curved to exhaust just in front of the rear wheel.

I'm ALWAYS right, except when I'm wrong.

I messaged dartcuda1 and he said the ones he had used were 60" ones. :-D I was trying to ask him for some more pics, but his inbox is full. I know more people than me are interested in this problem

-
Back