Siezed 273 v/8

-

alcronk

Valiant64
Reaction score
I have just bought a 1964 valiant siget 200 273 v/8 pushbutton auto .The car was stored inside for about 15 years . IT was running when it was parked .But it will not turn over . We have tried putting diesel down the spark plug holes and waited for a few days but we could not get it to move. There are many products on the market like engine release but at $20.00 per kit, per cylinder, plus $5.00 per kit for shipping . Looking for any info on this product or any other ideas that members may have used to try and unsieze a motor. Any help would be welcomed. Just trying to get it running without tearing it apart. Would like to try to keep stock. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge, Thanks Valiant64

I have just bought a 1964 valiant siget 200 273 v/8 pushbutton auto .The car was stored inside for about 15 years . IT was running when it was parked .But it will not turn over . We have tried putting diesel down the spark plug holes and waited for a few days but we could not get it to move. There are many products on the market like engine release but at $20.00 per kit, per cylinder, plus $5.00 per kit for shipping . Looking for any info on this product or any other ideas that members may have used to try and unsieze a motor. Any help would be welcomed. Just trying to get it running without tearing it apart. Would like to try to keep stock. Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge, Thanks Valiant64

Hi alcronk,

Cool sounding car. Would love to see some pics!
I'm not a professional mechanic but I dabble.
Some members here have mentioned a product called "Sea Foam" with good results. I haven't tried yet but is on my things to try before I die list! LOL!
From all the rusty stuff I have had to break loose (never can afford new and wouldn't want new anyway) I have had excellent results from a product called "Aero Kroil", but have never used on cylinders/rings sieze. (knowing me though I probibly would try this due to excellent results in other applications with bolt/nuts)
I have made a copy of this product (Not same formula I'm sure) of 50% each of ATF & Kerosene. This solution eats rust like nobodys business. I have cleaned the rockers on my 64 with kero & ATF before with excellent results.
I'm sure when most of the FABO membership wakes up later and checks yor thread, you'll have alot better advise than mine!
Good Luck, sounds like a really cool car! Post some pics please!

Put marvel mystrey oil in the cylinders and let it sit.
Make sure when you squirt some in each cylinder that what ever your using sprays it sideways ,so that the oil hits the cylinder wall towards the inside of the motor.It will then coat the hole ring in the cylinder.
Use a breaker bar after you have let it sit a few days.
I worked on a pontiac 400 that was seized up and it worked.
GOOD LUCK:cheers:
PS iF YOU GET IT RUNNING, THEN USE A FULL QUART IN THE OIL, AFTER YOUR OIL CHANGE.

Put marvel mystrey oil in the cylinders and let it sit.
Make sure when you squirt some in each cylinder that what ever your using sprays it sideways ,so that the oil hits the cylinder wall towards the inside of the motor.It will then coat the hole ring in the cylinder.
Use a breaker bar after you have let it sit a few days.
I worked on a pontiac 400 that was seized up and it worked.
GOOD LUCK:cheers:
PS iF YOU GET IT RUNNING, THEN USE A FULL QUART IN THE OIL, AFTER YOUR OIL CHANGE.

X2! Forgot bout that stuff! Has been around for decades!! Even have put it in gas mix!! I'm going to start adding that to my home brew rust eater!

Inject your solution in with a large syringe and use plenty so it pools on top of the entire piston surface.

Too bad it wasn't properly stored to begin with.

Marvel Mystery Oil will do the trick for you. The only engine I have ever seen it fail to break loose was a Lycoming V8 out of a Cord that sat in a field in Utah for over 35 years. That one had 4 cylinders that had to have the old pistons bored out of it. Plan on a rebuild. If the rings are stuck that bad they are shot.

Transmission fluid busted loose my seized slant six. I just let it sit in there for half of a day, pulled the starter, and broke it loose with a pry bar on the torque convertor. Obviously, it didn't take much effort or teeth would probably have snapped off.

PB Baster! Comes in a yellow and white can.

I have also heard good things of Marvel mystery oil.

Dont 4get to get us some pics

after my car sat while i was working on it at my great grandmothers when i got it on the road i used a bottle of marvel mystery oil my motor wasnt seized but i think it made a great diffrence anyways also a great bottle of stuff to use if u need it bar-leaks oil leak treatment its like honey lol works great even quiets the engine a lil

I used Marvel on a 85 hp Flathead Ford V8. Worked great. I heard from some old timers that Coca-Cola will break free a stuck engine in no time. Add a can per slug and let it sit for a day.

Marvel Mystery Oil will do the trick for you. The only engine I have ever seen it fail to break loose was a Lycoming V8 out of a Cord that sat in a field in Utah for over 35 years. That one had 4 cylinders that had to have the old pistons bored out of it. Plan on a rebuild. If the rings are stuck that bad they are shot.
Thanks for all the info . As this is my first car to restore .Can you please tell me what marvel mystery oil is or where i can buy it or the ingredients to make to make it Thanks for your time and help in this matter . alcronk valiant64

They call it Mystery oil for a reason.....try a mixture of brake fluid and transmission oil and a lil' dab of gas to help it creep past the rust. let it sit a few days and then try bumpin it back and forth with a small breaker bar and don't get in a hurry
Thanks for all the info . As this is my first car to restore .Can you please tell me what marvel mystery oil is or where i can buy it or the ingredients to make to make it Thanks for your time and help in this matter . alcronk valiant64

Thanks for all the info .As this is the first car that i am going to try and restore . Can you please tell what marvel mystery oil is and where i can buy it or the ingredients to make it ? Thanks for your time and help with may problem . alcronk valiant64

read previous post.......trans fluid,brake fluid and a lil' dab of gasoline to help it creep past the rust

you know, for the price of all that stuff, you could just buy a set of head gaskets and go in and have a look see. I'm kinda guessing that "ran good when I parked it" really means " towed it home after I ran it out of oil and it seized". anyway lets hope that's not the case.

Thanks for all the info .As this is the first car that i am going to try and restore . Can you please tell what marvel mystery oil is and where i can buy it or the ingredients to make it ? Thanks for your time and help with may problem . alcronk valiant64

NAPA, Walmart, Advance Auto etc,should have it, its not very expensive.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/wheretobuy/

LOL You must be younger than 50. ;)

Us old farts used Marvel Mystery Oil in our air tools,
as a cheap oil additive, etc for lots of years.

You can get it at walmart too! & everywhere else!
Marvel's mystery oil is the brand name.
Black & red can with "vintage circus" look to the label. Looks old timey!
Waggin said it best too.......Don't get in a hurry.
Good Luck!
Merry Christmas!8)

Thanks to everyone that replied to my post. I have learned alot form all of you . I am looking for a supplier of Marvel Mystery Oil here in Canada. Will let you all know how i make out plus pictures thanks alcronk valiant64 ps. Happy Holidays to all.

You should always be careful when trying to start up a motor that has sit for a long time and then won't turn over.

I have heard horror stories of mice or rats getting into the cylinder through the exhaust or intake manifold and then dieing thus rotting inside the motor causing it to freeze up.

Don't want to sound like I'm raining on your parade. Sorry, but I would crack open the heads and do the visual check. Could actually save you money in the long run.

Good luck...

I bought a 440 commando engine back a few years ago that was seized. The engine was still in the car and I had to pull it myself. Once I removed the huge mouse nest that was in the front of the transmission locking up the torque converter, the engine turned over freely. Got the engine for the original quoted $100.00 as I never told the wreckers what I had found. Best thing to do is pull the engine and take it apart. You never know what you will find.

Kenny b

HELLO again .I posted a thread about my 64 valiant and it's siezied 273 v/8 Some of you told me about marvel mystery oil. I have tried to find it in Canada but i have found out it is no longer sold here .AS i live near the border of Washington State u.s.a. and Canada . I am asking if there is any members in that state that live near the area of Blaine to Bellingham if they know[ 1]-if it's still available and[ 2] In which store i can buy it .With this info i can l plan a road trip to the state of Washington to purchase it.. or i will have to try some of the other products that were posted . THANKS in advance . al cronk valiant64

Pull the heads. You could have a stuck valve, and only damage more forcing it. ou can then see the problem clearly.

Al,
Ok bud here is what I did and it was just a few months ago. I bought a 65 with a 273 2bbl with 318 heads. It was sitting outside for 2 years with no hood, it did have an aircleaner on it. I checked the dipstick and there was some water in it but for the money and the modifications this car had done to it I took it home,; after I drained the oil and got about 2 quarts of fresh water out of it.

1) pulled the 273 intake and carb off, the carb was the wrong one so I tossed it, the intake is now on the musuem shelf. Pull out distributor

2) Pulled the heads off, you have to do this if the car has been sitting you don't know whats in there, you just have to. Inspect valves rocker passages push rods etc. Send it out to be checked if you want but mine looked pretty good.

3) There was some water in a few cylinders there was some rust in #1 and #4.

4) Buy about 3 gallons of Marvel, it might sound like alot but you will see why.

5) Fill all cylinders with Marvel as the engine sits do not try and turn it over. Fill the engine with Marvel, just pout it right over the rods and everything, distributor gear set all over fill it up might take 2 gallons, remember 273cid is converted to 1.3 gallons but thats in the cylinders itself the motor takes 5 quarts with an oil change with filter so this should get you to the point of "filling" the cylinders from the bottom up. Let it set for a week.

6) Inspect daily on the amount of fluid in cylinders, remember there might be one that is top dead center, so that is why we filled up the engine to get some lubrication in from the bottom. As you inspect for drainage hopefully it doesnt run right out if it does thats not good you rings are shot. Should be minimal per day if at all.

7) Ok its been a week, gently rock the crank a bit if it moves great if not I would let it set and keep filling cylinders, my motor moved at this point some other folks might have more of an idea on how long to wait. This is critical because the rings could be rusted to the walls or worse the crank could be rusted in place to a conecting rod.

8 ) When I rocked my engine I did it in the reverse pattern that the rust was building up in the cylinders, this way I wouldnt drag the rings over the rust. Once it moved and I took each cylinder starting with the ones that had rust and drove the piston to the bottom, filled it up with Marvel, let it sit for a day, took a rag and ran it all over the cylinder, set my hone it and cleaned up the cylinders I did this one cylinder per day so it would sit completly in Marvel.

9) Ok cylinders are all clean now, Engine moves freely, by no means is this the end..... I drainded all the Marvel out, took the old oil filter off put a new one on. I put Cylinder #1 at Top Dead center, timing showed TDC, oh goody.

10) Put the engine back together. I even put the old plugs back in, they looked ok and I still don't know if this motor is any good. I was already in for the Marvel, and gaskets. I did have a Wieand 4bbl intake and a Carter AFB so that went on.

11) Got it all together. I put 4 quarts of 10/30 and one of Marvel. Filled the Radiator up with water. lil bit of gas in the carb. I put a spark plug wire checker on the #1 plug, you can get them anywere it just as an inductor that shows spark, I just wanted to know on startup that I had fire to the plugs, turning it over with no spark is a no gooder.

12) Contact! Amazing it fired right up and sounded awesome I was at about 38 or so PSI. I ran it until it was at 180 degrees and steady. Then 10 min after that. Turned it over again fired right up. I did a compression check. Three cylinders are at 120 they all had rust build up I knew it wouldn't be great, the others were all at 150.

13) I am still tinkering with it its been driven a few times motor is "broke-in" I guess, the car hauls *** when the secondaries open up. My next phase is to drian the oil, maybe it has 50 miles on it and use a motor flush and then refill it. Knocking on wood nothing leaks. It has a later model 904 (1972?) with a 8 3/4 3.21 rear same year I think. Big bolt patter wheels all the way around disk brakes. Some one put alot of coin in it and then smashed the front up.

I will up load some pics of what I did and you can see some more here; www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/RicksMopar

I am no expert on anything this is just what I did, hope you have the same luck I did......

Next phase will be to pull the engine out and begin dissassembly for paint....

SDC10772.JPG

SDC10773.JPG

SDC10774.JPG

SDC10791.JPG

-
Back