silly question

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was watching Graveyard Cars this morning, heard one of the guys make a comment that a 489 case third member is not rebuildable, true or false?

OK I'm gonna help you answer your own question

1...It's Horrywood

2....It's television

3...It's Gravyard Carz

Do I really need to say more about the credibility of whatever goes on with one of these?

They were probably referring to the fact that the 489 cases use crush sleeves for bearing preload and that when disassembled, you're "supposed" to install a new crush sleeve. Other than that caveat, they are completely rebuildable.

Well there are lots of rear axles including Chivvvhieeeess that use crush sleeves

He might have been referring to the cone-type sure grip, which are not easily rebuildable compared to the clutch-type. The cone sure grip requires machining to be rebuilt, where you can just throw new clutches into the other.

That's kind of what I thought. I had a 742 in the 8.75 I had in my old charger, I had it rebuilt(not by me) but I couldn't fathom a single reason a 489 couldn't be rebuilt.

There is a solid collar you can buy now that does away with the crush collar , it gets pressed on and shims get used just like 741 and 742 cases.

The limited slip carrier of the cone style is not rebuildable.

The cones wear the cones and case, so they aren't rebuildable, they can be made to work, but it's not rebuildable.

That is what they meant by non rebuildable.

the crush sleeve has nothing to do with it and the solid does nothing but make changing the end yoke simplified.

-
Back