Silly question

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
For those of you using the Edelbrock heads on your smallblock...any considerations with regard to head bolt kits, gaskets, rocker arm shafts or any other things that might not be mentioned in literature on these heads? In other words, are they plug 'n play as far as replacing cast iron heads?
Thanks.

For those of you using the Edelbrock heads on your smallblock...any considerations with regard to head bolt kits, gaskets, rocker arm shafts or any other things that might not be mentioned in literature on these heads? In other words, are they plug 'n play as far as replacing cast iron heads?
Thanks.

The only thing I would suggest is to use Never-Seize on all the bolts and fasteners. Some Sparkplug manufacturers don't like it but they are not the one who will be repairing/replacing a FUBAR'd head!

Comp roller rockers with teflon coated bushings they come with the shafts, Smith brothers push rods , and Cometic steel tri-metal gaskets. ARP stud kits for head gaskets. rocker shafts , and valve covers. Steve uses studs on all aluminum threads. Where ever he has to use bolts the holes get Helicoiled or time certs.

I used ARP headbolts, and am having real good luck with FelPro .039 gaskets (1008s? IIRC), at 180psi cranking pressure. My first gaskets were .028, but I found them migrating into the valley at the first scheduled freshening.
==========================
>The heads were holding a lot of oil, so I dug some drainage channels on the back-ends, and now they are side-specific. They now have over 100,000 miles on them and have not given me any trouble.
>Not using the supplied valve-springs.Hughes recommended their springs (1110 IIRC) for their HE 3037AL cam with 1.6 arms.
>From the local Chrysler dealer, I bought some roller-tipped aluminum 1.6 rockers, anodized blue, and matching shafts, plus alloy hold-downs. I had to clearance the sides of some of the parts to get adequate side clearance.
>I drilled out the oil passage in the block and modified things to send a bit more oil up into the heads for lubing the shafts and cooling the springs. Don't know if it needed it, but I run the engine at 207*F so I thought it could be a good idea

Last edited:
-
Back