Simulated Mag Wheel Covers

-

3rdLM23P9

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Want to clean up the paint on my simulated mag wheel covers and looking for the correct paint to use. It looks like a black semi-gloss is on there - does anyone know the correct paint? Also, any surface prep tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mag Wheel.jpg

It is a semi-gloss but I don't remember what we used. Yours is perfect to get a couple cans and spray it in the areas that are bare or remove some more paint to see if it matches when it dries...

Thanks, I did find some semi-gloss paint and will give it a try.

Takes bout 3 hours to tape them....pits in the pot metal need addressed or will get worse...grind down and fill...braze or epoxy filler..some are just too far gone....and trim rings are always beat up....I've restored 9 sets...all take time....yours looks good...

Thanks Mtrhead. Couple of questions - did you have difficulty getting paint to adhere to the chrome/original black paint? If so, what did you use - any primer? I have some Eastwood Satin Black Wheel Paint, but concerned about whether or not it will adhere to chrome/black surface.

I did not use an adhesive promoter but I cleaned very well and I scuffed with a pad of steel wool it held great for many years...

So, after 10-12 hours of masking, and a couple of hours of primer and paint spray over about 2 weeks, finally got my 4 wheel covers painted. Still need to clean up the chrome - but want to wait a while until the paint fully cures.

Wheel Cover 1.jpg

Wheel Cover 2.jpg

I do like those earlier ones as well! Chrysler had some cool wheel cover offerings back then (and lots of them!).

I think the 69-70 paint scheme like you just did looks way better than the 68 Style with the argent silver...I also like the 67 style ones but 69-70 is my fav...show us a pic after installation...and by the way Excellent job!!!!

-
Back