Since interest was expressed....

-
I had an old timer show me this one , glue the gaset to the valve cover with weather strip adhesive , it will not move or leak at all , tried and proven

I had an old timer show me this one , glue the gaset to the valve cover with weather strip adhesive , it will not move or leak at all , tried and proven

that's how I was taught to but I started thinking with the junk in our fuel and the probability its ending up in the crank case as a vapor (a little) I don't know if the weather strip adhesive would hold up to it.

I was taught the same 40+ yrs ago, and never had a problem as long as the surfaces are clean before applying weatherstrip adhesive..

on flat rate, the repair has to work the first time, come-backs are more costly in ways you wouldn't think,, and no-one likes a deduct from their paycheck, because of having to do the job a second time..

Besides, flat rate to change a valvecover is .5, or .7 hr,, from the time you get the job work-order, you don't have time to use matchsticks,, clean it, glue it and screw it..

3M black weatherstrip adhesive,, sticks like crazy, no crankcase vapor issues,, and I've actually found RTV the main cause of gasket "creep",,

This technique usually allows multiple use of a good quality gskts..

Thanks for sharing. Can use the dowels to fix wooden objects the kids/grand kids break too! Like the valve cover stud idea too.

What did you find out on your oil problem? Never saw where the oil ended up going. I need some closure on that one!

I've never seen anyone wrap a motor and fender in plastic for a valve cover job before.

Just OCD or....?

No, I couldn't account for oil I had poured in, fearing possible sludge blocking the draining, for this car I just bought. I wrapped it in case the sludge had kept it from draining into the oil pan, and in cracking the cover, i would have a mess.

It turned out to be an unnecessary precaution after all... :finga:

What did you find out on your oil problem? Never saw where the oil ended up going. I need some closure on that one!

Well, once I cracked the cover, it all came spilling into the oil pan. I'm not sure what clogged it, but it seemed to release.

She wasn't that dirty inside...

-
Back