Since when did fram market trans rebuild kits?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
As title says.
I wonder who actually made these kits for frame?
I'm gonna have to go thru the 904 in my 78 fury. I'm not ready for it yet but I seen these kits on eBay by frame and was wondering about them? Looks like a banner kit with steels.
KT1077

Nobody?
Was wondering if they're any good.

Buy it and find out.

Shop I worked at in the mid to late 80's got some of Fram transmission kits from time to time. They worked with no problems back then. For the price listed on eBay I would say go for it.

Looks like some new old stock kits from the 80's. They do not look new. Do you think the lip seals are still soft?

a long long time ago they sold rebuilt kits for the american cars c-4 c6- , 904 -727 ,th350 and 400
and some ford amf trans

There is nothing magical about box kits for automatic transmissions. For a stock application in a Mopar, look for either Raybestos or Borg Warner Friction discs. As there are few gasket set manufacturers (despite whatever name is on the packaging) and anything that has a made in the US on it will be fine. If it is really old stock, then there is the possibility that the gaskets have shrunk, and the lip seals might be deformed. I don't know where you live, but if you're in the US, look for a trans-star parts outlet and or W.I.T. transmission parts. At least with these people, you are dealing with some one involved directly in the transmission industry, which may not be true with someone on bay. Shopping for the cheapest isn't always your best move

Yeah I know about "cheapest" and I know of Fram's reputation on filters the last 10 years or so. But as with electronics ( voltage regulator, ignition boxes, caps rotors etc) I have better luck with "old stock" from brands that in some cases don't exist no more vs current new stock at most parts stores.
I figured that since fram is mostly known for filters, that this was most likely a rebox of someone more known for trans kits, and old stock at that/ so much less likely to have come from the likes of China. Which I like to avoid as much as possible.
I seen these out there and was curious about them, at least. Doesn't sound like something that fram got into for long/ , as nobody seems to remember using them for trans parts....

I used some cheap kits in the mid 90s. I never had an y problems with them. Only in old timers vehicles or poor ppl that I knew didn’t have the money. Those times I barely made a few dollars to buy groceries. But I felt better for helping the less fortunate.

The trans I'm considering this for isn't driven crazy, (hey it's a heavy late B body, 318, 2.76 gears) just starting to show signs that the piston seals are probably getting hard, still soften up and do their job as the motor warms up
doesn't drive like it used to, until it warms up. Fluid is still very red but starting to slip a bit when stone cold and when not driven regularly (when pulled out so I can use the garage in the off-season to work on something else for example)
Only 56k original miles on a 78, just needs a freshen up.

-
Back