Single Field Alternator Help

-

Dustin Mitchell

Reaction score
Hello! So, I've been working on my '74 Duster, getting Painless Wiring harness hooked up. I have a single field alternator, and an electronic voltage regulator. I've search high and low for info on this but can't find any. Is this possible, or do I need to buy a mechanical voltage regulator?

A 74 should not have had a grounded field alternator. It should have had an isolated field, these are sometimes INcorrectly called "single" and "dual" field

A late model "squareback" (with the rectangular diode assy) is superior to the older roundback, which were made both in grounded (up through 69) and isolated field (70/ later) The "squareback) came along?? 73 or so

There is no way to use an electronic regulator with a grounded field.

Can you post a photo? I don't understand how you ended up with this

You can get an electronic voltage regulator that is designed for a single field alt.
The one on my 67 right now is electronic. It looks like the old mechanical, wires up the same etc.

I do agree doug 371, you would be best to get the correct alternator for your cars year (voltage regulator as well)

You can get an electronic voltage regulator that is designed for a single field alt.
The one on my 67 right now is electronic. It looks like the old mechanical, wires up the same etc.

I do agree doug 371, you would be best to get the correct alternator for your cars year (voltage regulator as well)
You are right I mean "OEM." Actually the replacement regulators for the old grounded field are all pretty much electronic nowadays. Look underneath. If there is two large wire wound resistors, it is mechanical. If nothing there it is "transistorized"

A 74 should not have had a grounded field alternator. It should have had an isolated field, these are sometimes INcorrectly called "single" and "dual" field

A late model "squareback" (with the rectangular diode assy) is superior to the older roundback, which were made both in grounded (up through 69) and isolated field (70/ later) The "squareback) came along?? 73 or so

Thats good to know. I had no idea there was a difference but I know now. Will post pics soon. Previous owner probably threw one in without knowing what he was doing. That's likely seeing some of the other work that was done to this car that I've been correcting.

image000000(19).jpg

Make sure to note the Accessory Relay wiring update for the 10127 Painless harness. If not wired as the update shows, will result in dead batteries.

9AB18733-927C-466F-AB92-1846B61965CC.png

-
Back