Single Turbo Blow through Small Block Kits???

-

turboJoe

Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Im new here on A-Bodies, I have noticed That although everyone seems interested in turbo's for our cars, Kits and parts are hit and miss to do so. Im talking with some local turbo shops and Whole salers about Putting something together that I can afford that would appeal to everyone. This is in the very early stages, But at the very least Will happen for my 72 340 Duster . MY QUESTION IS... What would you guys like to see for installaition? E.G. Manifold material, Turbo locaition, Some cutting ok? NO cutting at all etc. I am all ears, If I can make this happen I would like everyone to be able to do this as well.

If this sounds good to anyone let me know!

I will also add pictures and info as it comes...

I would think a entry level kit with little to no cutting would appeal to most. If they can design a kit to make a little 273 ci motor put out 275HP vs the stock 175 hp for around $2000 it would be a winner. Might even buy one myself.

Welcome to FABO. A kit, similar to what http://www.sd-concepts.com/ offers would be great. Headers to fit with a motor plate wouldbe good.....

Hey there thanks! :happy7:, Do you have a picture of your car with a motor plate installed? Im glad you Brought that up because that already helps my build I will not be running a motor plate on my car but I want this to fit almost everything I have power brakes and steering so if it it would fit my car ( and now with a motor plate) It should fit everything else. Im not worried about scattershields or automatic linkage it will fit around all of that.

I would think a entry level kit with little to no cutting would appeal to most. If they can design a kit to make a little 273 ci motor put out 275HP vs the stock 175 hp for around $2000 it would be a winner. Might even buy one myself.

What your looking for can be done very easily probably at 4500 4800 rpm and almost no lag 2000 rpm and up with a dual pane intake manifold and 600cfm carb
I agree No cutting is a plus and for a basic street kit I think that is possible, The down pipe routing is where im at with cutting the car a 2.5" - 3" downpipe can sneak out between the rear of the motor and the passenger side frame rail but anything bigger should dump through the fender well behind the passenger side tire and then back.

I would be interested in a single turbo kit with no cutting required.

Single ir double kit to push a 360 to the limit... I have no idea what a 360 can handle? Speed pro 116 pistons, ported 569 heads with 2.02 valves, ported intake air gap... i'd like to push it as i'm used to 800rwhp in other cars that are street cars.. I doubt this 360 can handle that but what the limit on it? Can a boost controller be hooked up to it? PM me on ball park figures.

USCG CHARGER:

Your rotating assembly is going to be the limiting factor, Stock rods are safe to 700hp ( please correct me if you know otherwise ) and the stock crank at big power levels shouldnt go past 5000-5200 rpm Balanced and lightened maybe 5800 rpm thats kind of sketchy some people spin them higher than that on a regular basis but I think its more fun to keep your nice motor bits inside as long as possible, Good steel crank and machine work on iron heads with enough fuel??? I would guess 475hp at 3-5 psi at 5000 rpm and 600-650hp at 6000 - 6500 rpm at 10-12 psi at this point you should be looking at aluminum heads and an intercooler. A well built 408 with aluminum heads and fuel injection 1000+ hp And yes you can run a boost controller.

Also I would like to add that these kits will start in basic ( get you up and running in a weekend ) form, Intercoolers and other upgrades can be added at any time.

I have Speed Pro H116CP pistons and rods are brand new H-beams with ARP main stud kit.

I'm interested in a kit if the price is right. When you get ball park figures and time frames worked out let me know.

I have Speed Pro H116CP pistons and rods are brand new H-beams with ARP main stud kit.

If thats a hyper piston? I would have to say you need the engine or car on a dyno for tuning, Those are great pistons for a N/A street strip motor but your on borrowed time if your guessing at A/F ratio and timing. Saying that it still can be done but lower boost level will save your parts, Still 500hp Is nothing to sneeze at, You can scare most people with an honest
300hp in a light street car :happy7:

If thats a hyper piston? I would have to say you need the engine or car on a dyno for tuning, Those are great pistons for a N/A street strip motor but your on borrowed time if your guessing at A/F ratio and timing. Saying that it still can be done but lower boost level will save your parts, Still 500hp Is nothing to sneeze at, You can scare most people with an honest
300hp in a light street car :happy7:

I have a dyno I can tune the car on. Are you thinking 6-8lbs of boost will net me 500rwhp? If so sign me up now!:yawinkle:

I have a dyno I can tune the car on. Are you thinking 6-8lbs of boost will net me 500rwhp? If so sign me up now!:yawinkle:

I dont know what cam your running but in a 9:1 motor thats totally realistic I would say 8-10 to make 550 at the flywheel it will be like a 150 shot whenever you want it and all by about 5500rpm! it will feel like a strong big block in all the same places 2000-5500rpm

I dont know what cam your running but in a 9:1 motor thats totally realistic I would say 8-10 to make 550 at the flywheel it will be like a 150 shot whenever you want it and all by about 5500rpm! it will feel like a strong big block in all the same places 2000-5500rpm

I'd like to see 500 at the wheels for the price I'd be paying for a turbo build... unless it's under $3K

I'd like to see 500 at the wheels for the price I'd be paying for a turbo build... unless it's under $3K

I always like to be conservative, We will no a lot more once I get my car put together and on the rollers, Mopar muscle got 700hp out of a 360 but it took 14 pounds of procharger $2600 Edelbrock rpms $2200 and a $800 worth of holley carb a csu hat $260 and a bunch of stuff they didn't mention. That's a lot more than I am willing to spend. For that kind of money build a 400 something inch small block spin it to 7500 rpm and make that kind of power. I want this to be cheap thrills for everyone that has aluminum head money :)

I always like to be conservative, We will no a lot more once I get my car put together and on the rollers, Mopar muscle got 700hp out of a 360 but it took 14 pounds of procharger $2600 Edelbrock rpms $2200 and a $800 worth of holley carb a csu hat $260 and a bunch of stuff they didn't mention. That's a lot more than I am willing to spend. For that kind of money build a 400 something inch small block spin it to 7500 rpm and make that kind of power. I want this to be cheap thrills for everyone that has aluminum head money :)

I bet with a t76 and meth injection you'd get better than that! You definitely will need to detune! LOL!
Street manners are compromised with the blow-thru setup. Tune for one or the other street or track.
After the moola that I have spent I am reluctant to start mine until I get the AFR/Wideband for it. Don't want to detonate it with a lean condition.

CUUDAK:

I agree you can keep throwing parts at a basic setup and make serious powe, There is a build on one of the turbo forums its a 421" Ford with twin t-88's made something like 3500 HP non intercooled on race gas only has to do it for 6 seconds or so, 10" tire car . I think everything costs to much these days for those of us that want to play that's where inexpensive turbo kits come in to play. Once you figure out blow through carbs you'll get decent milage power and reliability, If you have the money build an EFI setup and happy tuning :)

CUUDAK:

I agree you can keep throwing parts at a basic setup and make serious powe, There is a build on one of the turbo forums its a 421" Ford with twin t-88's made something like 3500 HP non intercooled on race gas only has to do it for 6 seconds or so, 10" tire car . I think everything costs to much these days for those of us that want to play that's where inexpensive turbo kits come in to play. Once you figure out blow through carbs you'll get decent milage power and reliability, If you have the money build an EFI setup and happy tuning :)

Will your kit be able to be used on a EFI set up?

-
Back