Single Wire Alternator in a 67 Dart

-

DAndy ART

dreams becoming reality
Reaction score
67 Dart, 318/904

So I have replaced the old alternator with a 100A single wire internally regulated item from Holley/Mr Gasket. See link.
Mr. Gasket 51261NG Alternator - Chrysler 1960-88 - 100 AMP - Natural Finish

Instructions were simple. +ve terminal to starter solenoid, -ve to chassis ground.

So in the existing wiring, this bypasses/ ignores the voltage regulator and the ballast resistor.

Can I simply fit this as it is and expect it to work, or do I need to do something that includes existing wiring in some way???

Any help appreciated.

It DOES NOT bypass the ballast resistor which is part of the ignition system, not the alternator. And yes, you MUST upgrade your wiring. PLEASE read the MAD article and plan on upgrading your wiring.

Catalog

The big issues with factory wiring are:

Not near big enough wiring for 60A much less larger alternators
Bulkhead connector terminals are too "light" and subject to failure
Ammeter can and does fail, and no way will it handle a 100A setup

A single wire alternator MUST HAVE MUS MUS MUST have an oversized charge wire, because the "sensing" for battery charging is on that wire. If there is ANY voltage drop on the charge wire, the system will run lower voltage

For a 100A I'd have a no6 charge wire I don't "care" for one wire setups but feel free to use what you want

Thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciated 67Dart273. I have a complete Ron Francis fit out to replace everything but I am worried about getting everything done for a wedding 27 Jan. I was hoping for an easy way out and get to the main job later. No bother. I have my orders. Wish me luck.

Thank you so much for your reply. Much appreciated 67Dart273. I have a complete Ron Francis fit out to replace everything but I am worried about getting everything done for a wedding 27 Jan. I was hoping for an easy way out and get to the main job later. No bother. I have my orders. Wish me luck.

I rewired my 68 fastback w/ an E Z wiring kit , run a 130 amp , one wire GM alternator , using a 8 or 10 gauge wire ( DON`T REMEMBER) to the solenoid w. the battery in the trunk , no problems what so ever. U will not use a ballast resister this way----------, or the bulk head connection.

U will not use a ballast resister this way----------, or the bulk head connection.

The ballast...........or not.........depends on what ignition system you use, and nothing else, juz' sayin LOL

-
Back