Six pack hood install on 71 Duster

-

71duster06

Reaction score
I finally found a six pack good last fall and was able to fix it up these past few weeks. Overall it looks pretty good but I was more interested in the fresh air for the 340. All I have to do now is add the 340 wedge decal on the hood and install the air cleaner plate to seal the hood. Looking forward to how it drives...

Few pics of before/after in random order

Attachments

• image.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 866
  • IMG_6526.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_6539.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 516
  • Duster UP.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 498
  • power tour photo.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 482
Nice! Is it a one piece hood or a scoop bonded to the hood?

Just about finished. Installing the air cleaner seal tonight and it will be good to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 431
Hood scoops WORK, but, the carb MUST be sealed to the scoop. We used an old STOP sign and some foam strips. Cut a hole in the middle of the sign for the carb and a vent hole in the rear of the STOP sign to bleed off excess pressure or the hood will pressurize and awful results will happen. Worth .4 sec. in 1/4. Have fun

Good to hear! I was planning on adding some drain holes in case of rain but never thought about venting the sealed area. How big was the hole you used as a vent? I am all for hearing others recommendations on their setups.

Hood scoops WORK, but, the carb MUST be sealed to the scoop. We used an old STOP sign and some foam strips. Cut a hole in the middle of the sign for the carb and a vent hole in the rear of the STOP sign to bleed off excess pressure or the hood will pressurize and awful results will happen. Worth .4 sec. in 1/4. Have fun

I Noticed on my '70 Cuda's 6 pack carb pan, it has drain holes in it for the rain that are also supposed to have hose on the ends to direct the rain water away from the hot engine. I do t see an issue with to much pressure under the hood with a scoop and no drain holes, but I would put drain holes in there even if it is for the track only. Just for liquid drainage reasons. Not pressure reasons.

I Noticed on my '70 Cuda's 6 pack carb pan, it has drain holes in it for the rain that are also supposed to have hose on the ends to direct the rain water away from the hot engine. I do t see an issue with to much pressure under the hood with a scoop and no drain holes, but I would put drain holes in there even if it is for the track only. Just for liquid drainage reasons. Not pressure reasons.

the duster looks great. 6 pack hoods look good on anything, got one on my 68 barracuda.

I am almost finished with the air cleaner seal. I will do the final cut for the carb tonight and it will be good to go.

Should work well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 372
The plan is to seal the entire scoop area by using the fiberglass frame rail as a connection point. This should prevent any flexing of the aluminum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 369
Hood turned out nice. I could feel a decent improvement in throttle response and the engine seemed to run smoother while accelerating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 330
-
Back