Six pack hood on a daily driver

-
Good question. I had mine on my 72 Scamp which was my daily driver. Of course, this was over 10 years ago. I never really had any problems though.

does it rain much where your at?
i'm not aware of any plugs or cover.
never thought about it, just drove on....
i'm sure some water get's in there but it splashes
up from the road too.

well this winter has rained really hard at times. Would it hurt the engine if water goes into the carb?

as long as you have an air cleaner on and its not a steady stream into engine bay you should be fine, i've had one for over 10 years also no probs

as long as you have an air cleaner on and its not a steady stream into engine bay you should be fine, i've had one for over 10 years also no probs

you drive it in the rain?
What kind of filter do you have? Oiled or non-oiled?

At the time I had a standard ail filter (no oil), and since my Scamp was my dailey driver, I drove it in the snow and in the rain. As long as you have an air filter on your carb you should be fine.

If it were that much of a concern in heavy rain, a sheild like the 6 paks have could be fabbed to mount infront of the filter. Just to block it.

I ran my dual snorkel scoop for a few years on my daily driver with an open 14" paper filter. Rain, snow, whatever. No engine problems. Only problem I ever had was from cold air coming through the firewall where ever it could & freezing my *** in the winter.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to be putting a hemi scoop on my Dart this summer. Hardest part is deciding to paint the hood black, or the scoop gold to match the car.

I made plugs for my hood scoop. Got some closed cell foam from
the local craft store. Cut the foam slightly larger the the openings. Covered them with heavy duty duct tape. Covered them
completely with it. If it rains I just put them in the openings
to stop it. Haven't had any leaks. Cheap but it works.

I made plugs for my hood scoop. Got some closed cell foam from
the local craft store. Cut the foam slightly larger the the openings. Covered them with heavy duty duct tape. Covered them
completely with it. If it rains I just put them in the openings
to stop it. Haven't had any leaks. Cheap but it works.

Nice! got pics?

Foam will work great, it will still flow, but the water will get trapped up into the maze and stay out of your engine. Lotta 'muddin' trucks use 'em too :D Also wouldnt hurt to have a 'gutter' in your air cleaner if possible

Sorry no pics. Just basic foam in a square. Covered with black HD duct tape. Just make it slightly larger than the opening.
That way it will help to seal better.

I plan on using the piece I cut out of the hood to make the hole
to block out the rain. The piece will be mounted to a larger piece(heat proof)
making a 1" flange. This assembly will be installed with quick disconnect pins.

I'll carry it in the trunk until it's needed.

I'll post up some pics when I get it done.

53.jpg

-
Back