six pack trouble

-

440marv

Reaction score
New here and having trouble with my six pack the outer carbs are
not opening . I have changed the diaghrams and still nothing. I have hooked up my mighty vac to test it and it wont move. what am i missing.

Were they working then stopped working or did you work on them and now they don't work?

Check for a mechanical bind. Try to open them by hand. That's where I would start.

Were they working then stopped working or did you work on them and now they don't work?

Check for a mechanical bind. Try to open them by hand. That's where I would start.
They open by hand just not with vacuum. I just got this car with this setup
on it the carbs are rebuilt and everthing looks good .

The car lacks power and you never here them open. Also when i pulled the vacuum line off and hooked up my vacuum pump nothing happens . I tested the vacuum diaphams off the carbs and the hold vacuum but when installed
they don't . So i am lost on what is wrong.

You won't hear them open. You might have to go to a lighter spring so they will open earlier. You can put a little clip or something on the linkage to use as a "telltale" to see if they are opening. They probably won't open just winging the throttle. Probably need to be under some load.

Check them with the car off, hold the center WFO then test with the mity vac. The outboard carbs won't open unless the center carb is WFO. If they work, then check to make sure your center carb is opening all the way with someone in the car with the pedal to the floor.

is the vacume port {probably wrong name} where the pods conect to the carbs clear?

Just tried that and still nothing. It is drawing air threw the carbs so it wont pull vacuum.
The factory carbs have a bleed hole down inside the venturi, thats why they wont hold a vacuum.
I test them by disconnecting the outer carbs, then run it hard. Good luck

Only have about 20 miles or so on a new build w/ a 6-pk, so have not kicked it in yet, (or thought about it)........but great info for the future next "do over"....LOL

Have you tried putting a paper clip on the operating rod from the vacuum pod to see if it moves after going out for a high rpm blast?

Paper clip or twist tie loosly on the diaphram's shaft is teh only way. It's not engine (or pump) vacuum that opens them. But rather the airflow past the orifice in the secondary's throttle body. No air flow, no open. Stick a vacuum pump on it, no open. You may not have the right spring in it (as mentionned). But the easiest way to tell is the clip or something on the rod placed tight to the vacuum pod. As the carb opens, it will push the clip down the rod. So as soon as you stop and look, the clip will be lower on the rod. Or, simply add a set of light springs and you will feel a bog. Then they are opening too early.

-
Back