Skinny Steelies?

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I currently have a large (4.5") bolt pattern on the rear of my dart but the smaller 4" up front. I have steel wheels in back and solid polished centerlines up front. I'm going after that old day 2 look. I recently was handed a set of the poverty caps in great shape and placed one on the rear wheel. I was thinking of putting steelies and hubs on the front as well for that sleeper look but I would still want a skinnier look up front. Did research and found that Wheel Vintiques makes a 15 x 4 inch wheel with a 5 x 4" bolt pattern. They are a bit pricey but wouldnt mind paying if it gives me the look I want. Does anyone have input on this? Will it give the look I'm looking for? I am looking into a 165/80 R15 up front along with my current 255/60 R15 in rear. I enclosed a few pics of the current setup and the hub on the rear.

20240312_173009.jpg

20231023_174800.jpg

I like steelies and caps. Not everybody here does.
My street tire setup is black steelies and caps (blue car) but that's cause my fronts are A12 wheels that have to be black.
In your case, if was doing it, I'd paint the wheels body color.
I like your centerlines too. The polished autodrags I had were a pain in the *** to maintain . All my centerlines now are natural finish.

I like steelies and caps. Not everybody here does.
My street tire setup is black steelies and caps (blue car) but that's cause my fronts are A12 wheels that have to be black.
In your case, if was doing it, I'd paint the wheels body color.
I like your centerlines too. The polished autodrags I had were a pain in the *** to maintain . All my centerlines now are natural finish.
I like the body color wheels but I'm thinking the black would accent the hood and stripes.

I love the black rear steelies with aftermarket axles showing I have 15x4 torque thrust on front of my 71 duster and black 14x8 steelies on rear

I think years ago, Hot Rod or PHR did an article about the donut spare wheels from an 80s or so T bird. They were supposedly 15 x 4 with a 4 1/2" pattern. I could be wrong, my memory ain't what it used to be. LOL

I love the black rear steelies with aftermarket axles showing I have 15x4 torque thrust on front of my 71 duster and black 14x8 steelies on rear
Id like to see a side shot of your car Josh, if y you have one handy.

Most Grand Marquis LTDs and Crown Vics 1980's box style cars had 15×4 spare donut in trunk with 5×4.5 lugs...just like Demonracer said....I remember them being alum though

Getting back on track, the op is asking about 15x4 wide and 4” bolt circle..!! I too would like to know if any of these can be had.The only thing I know of in the past were custom units..Swingn’

They might be able to be redrilled for 4-in pattern

s-l400.jpg

Getting back on track, the op is asking about 15x4 wide and 4” bolt circle..!! I too would like to know if any of these can be had.The only thing I know of in the past were custom units..Swingn’
I found some on Wheel Vintiques site. Very pricey but 15 x 4 wheel on a 5 x 4 bolt pattern. I have the same company steelies on the rear but 15 x 8 on a 5 x 4.5 pattern so it shouls look good with the poverty caps all around.

They might be able to be redrilled for 4-in pattern

View attachment 1716221306
Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how big that center hole is. The sbp moves the hole 1/4" closer to the center hole. A judgement call. I'd give it a try, if I could find the wheels cheap enough.
I used to see those on the front of fox mustangs a lot. Not so much any more.

I found some on Wheel Vintiques site. Very pricey but 15 x 4 wheel on a 5 x 4 bolt pattern. I have the same company steelies on the rear but 15 x 8 on a 5 x 4.5 pattern so it shouls look good with the poverty caps all around.
If wheel vintiques make em, I'd check if they can be bought thru jegs or Summit, or one of the other specialty wheel retailers. Maybe save a buck or two.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how big that center hole is. The sbp moves the hole 1/4" closer to the center hole. A judgement call. I'd give it a try, if I could find the wheels cheap enough.
I used to see those on the front of fox mustangs a lot. Not so much any more.
no provisions for a hubcap, though....dunno if you could get 15" hoops and reuse a 14" SBP center. or like I said, stick with stock 14x4.5's and go with a slightly shorter tire? these sprint classics in 165HR14 are 6.6" wide, 24.5" tall, in 175HR14 are 7" wide and 25" tall

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...m=6HR4SC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

still formulating what I do on my duster once I finish the big bolt pattern conversion. actually thought about doing 15's front/17's rear using vision 148's Vision Wheel 148 Shift Wheels & 148 Shift Rims On Sale

215/60R15's in front and 235/55R17 or 255/50R17 in the back. would give the 25" diameter in front to clear the front lip of the fender, 27" height in back to fill the wheelwell, and the same sidewall height front to rear....

im running a set of 15x4 steelies from a 50,s studebaker they have the large hub cap id recommend the wheelsmith here in corona ca good price and have materials in stock not saying wheels vintique is bad but i had 2 orders canceled by them ,not reliable

IMG_8859_Original.jpeg

15x5 factory BBP wheel in the front with BFG 155/80/15s. They are “skinny” imo.

Thank you for everyone's help! Here's the finished product of my Dart with the steelies and caps. Wanted to give it that sleeper look. Thoughts?

20240405_193030.jpg

-
Back