Slant 6 4bbl Carb Selection

-
How big of a camshaft are you planning? A metering rod carburetor like the Edelbrocks may not be your best choice for a camshaft with a lot of duration.

Now the question is would he want a Mechanical or a Vacuum Secondary Carb.

Now the question is would he want a Mechanical or a Vacuum Secondary Carb.
Because he is stock/automatic Id go with Vacuum secondaries. If it was built, and had a manual trans or high stall, you could go either way. I like vacuum secondaries on small motors personally, seems easier to tune IMO.

How big of a camshaft are you planning? A metering rod carburetor like the Edelbrocks may not be your best choice for a camshaft with a lot of duration.

IMG_7102.jpeg

Hey guys. I want to do a performance slant six build, and I originally wanted to do a triple Weber setup. Since I don’t have the cash and Redline hasn’t been able to resume manufacture of the manifold, I’ve decided to cut my losses and just go for the cheaper 4bbl route. I’ve found a manifold that’s in stock, but I want some recommendations for what carb to put on it. I’ve bought a bigger cam, and I’m planning a set of 3-2-1 headers for the exhaust. How many cfm can I make use of? I don’t wanna blast all my cash away on a bigger carb than I can actually use, but I also don’t wanna miss out on any gains by going smaller than I can. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1716159993

View attachment 1716159994
Depends if you are a Holley or Edelbrock guy.
Holley guy ? Holley 390 Edelbrock guy ? Edelbrock 500

On another note: Talking about funds and doing stuff cheaper. I would steer you in the direction of a Clifford or Ofenhauser intake, and Clifford headers. This will be less expensive, and give you as good or better performance. .02

So I don’t really wanna drop $500 on a brand new carb.
I'm all for using what ya got till ya can get what ya need.
You "could" do all the changes and used the 1407 "because you have one" and disconnect the secondaries.
Thus having a 2bbl till you can find a used 390/500. They come up on all the "Bodies sites" every now and then.
Also I remember Doug Dutra ran a 1407 on his street slant for a bit. He was at a Mopars at the Strip event and had carb problems and picked up a 1407 at the swap meet stuck it on and went drag racing. Just a thought.

You "could" do all the changes and used the 1407 "because you have one" and disconnect the secondaries.
Thus having a 2bbl till you can find a used 390/500. They come up on all the "Bodies sites" every now and then.
Also I remember Doug Dutra ran a 1407 on his street slant for a bit. He was at a Mopars at the Strip event and had carb problems and picked up a 1407 at the swap meet stuck it on and went drag racing. Just a thought.
What is the purpose of disconnecting the secondaries in my case?

Just to make it a 2 barrel for better driveability . And yes you don't have to at all.
Used to do that stuff when I was a broke kid making a $1 a hour.

Ok, so a stock cam. You can run most any carburetor.
Rusty, that is mean. :)
Best stock cam was the 71-77 cam.
244 Dur, 26deg overlap, .406 Lift I and .414 Lift E.
Now I agree, it's not a radical cam, but lift is better at .440.

But I have been told I run a street cam in my engine, so what do I know.

What is the purpose of disconnecting the secondaries in my case?
Nothing. You're still stuck with the really fat primary side. Why on earth would you want to try and tune it if it's going to be temporary? I'd just sell it to fund something else.

Rusty, that is mean. :)
Best stock cam was the 71-77 cam.
244 Dur, 26deg overlap, .406 Lift I and .414 Lift E.
Now I agree, it's not a radical cam, but lift is better at .440.

But I have been told I run a street cam in my engine, so what do I know.
I don't like any of the Comp stuff for the slant 6. It all sucks and especially right now when Comp seems to have a plethora of cam and lifter failures. I'd take that highest lift stock cam any day over a Comp if I was going mild. Comp is done, IMO. I know I'll never use their cams and lifters again. Not me, brother.

you want a 390 holley? i can get you a 390 by 3pm.

I thought I saw a 390 for sale here in the last couple days.

With what's available from Quick Fuel nowadays, I am slap sold on the Slayer and Brawler carburetors for Holley style carburetors. Their tunability is truly limitless. You would have to spend a lot of time and labor to do that with an older Holley. A lot of money too, if you cannot do it yourself. JMO from running a Slayer on Vixen and a Brawler on Gladys that both run great and I have them tuned right on.

Running a 750 cfm carb of any brand on a slant 6 that will be street driven is a baaad idea. The large primary barrels will nit be conducive to good throttle response. There is a reason why manufacturers select carb size commensurate with the engine size [ & at greater cost ] , rather than a one size fits all.

Running a 750 cfm carb of any brand on a slant 6 that will be street driven is a baaad idea. The large primary barrels will nit be conducive to good throttle response. There is a reason why manufacturers select carb size commensurate with the engine size [ & at greater cost ] , rather than a one size fits all.
I See.

It's like I was trying to tell you. Disabling the secondaries does nothing, really. You're still saddled with huge primaries and a way too rich primary fuel system.

-
Back