Slant 6/904 flex plate no longer fits on new motor

-

Garrett Hurley

Reaction score
I recently bought a new block and turbo setup off Gilbert titan a member of this forum. My og block had cracked so I bought a new block and put it all together along with dutras Aussie Intake and ct26 turbo. I went to bolt my rebuilt 1964 A904 3 speed onto this newer block but the flex plate is around a 1/4 inch too short in diameter to fit over the crank. The new motor I bought had a manual trans and I removed the pilot bearing and thought it would bolt right up, but nope. Will take any suggestions cannot just widen the hole on my flex plate cause it would get rid of the shoulder, is this a part I could find? or should I see if any trans shops can build me a flex plate that would work? I believe I posted this in the correct section please inform me if I’m wrong I’m not on here all too often. Any help is appreciated.

FB5F8610-FE78-48C2-AC60-1B8FB0D41CD7.jpeg

7B753ADD-D5F2-4C93-8BE4-FEE8ED9F6B86.jpeg

3E11D0D5-45CE-451C-AB93-2ADCCD94752B.jpeg

B6D196F8-F8B1-42BC-9AE8-06F74A585693.jpeg

I could be wrong, but think you’ll need a 68-later flex plate

I believe I have what you need. One on left has a bigger center hole . 2.15"
One on right is smaller at 1.96"
16102366263123719113867550715858.jpg

Doesn't look like you've got the pilot bearing totally out, the register needs to be empty for the convertor nose to fit.
And here's another "heads up" for you- the convertor snout on your '64 904 will be too small in the later crank's register. You'll need an adapter bushing to ensure the convertor is properly centered and supported.
Was sold by Pat Blaise Transmissions, but he may have retired... his Ebay user name is torqueflight patty.
They are (or were?) also made and sold by member @Charrlie_S

Correct, you need the later 68 up flex plate (they are available new), and the adapter bushing. I do have them available. Send me a PM.
It looks like you still have some kind of bushing in the end of the crank. That needs to be removed.

Correct, you need the later 68 up flex plate (they are available new), and the adapter bushing. I do have them available. Send me a PM.
It looks like you still have some kind of bushing in the end of the crank. That needs to be removed.
Awesome thank you guys I was about to swap crankshafts from my old motor so glad I won’t have to rebuild My slant for the 3rd time. :p

-
Back