Slant 6----All Choked Up!

-

BobW

Curmudgeon At Large
Reaction score
After fooling with a manual choke cable for a year, I decided to use the 1232 choke on my hard starting Valiant. Unfortunately for me, the vacuum pull-off is mounted on the side of my 9447 Carter, blocking the rod from the choke assembly when mounted on manifold location.
icon_sad.gif

I made a plate to move it slightly back and toward the head, and bent the mounting bracket to lean slightly forward. This gave me a straight shot to attach the rod, but the angle didn't allow full rotation of the butterfly.
I reversed the plate I made, moving the choke assembly in front of the vacuum pull-off.
Next I bent the actuator rod to attach to the carb, making sure it moved freely. I also placed a stainless washer on the rod where it goes into the actuator body to keep it moving in a straight axis, using new speed/push nuts to keep the rod in line with the actuator body.
Works great, car starts immediately!
icon_biggrin.gif

Choke1.jpg

Choke2.jpg

Choke3.jpg

Choke4.jpg

Last edited:
That's great but why could you not get a manual to work? I would actually prefer that in an "adaption" situation.

That's great but why could you not get a manual to work? I would actually prefer that in an "adaption" situation.
It was just a straight cable, the pull-off didn't open the buterfly at all. Motor would fire, then die immediately from full choke. Cracking it open a 'touch' would take 3-4 tries to get it going.
And this is Florida, warm, maybe 50's at the coldest!

Well I used to have to "make" (and use) shall we say, "intelligent" manual choke

Example was a QJ I had on the SB (TQ manifold) swapped in the old Landcruiser. I used two "cable stops" you know the set screw devices. Rigged one so the cable slid through it with a short length of wire out the other end, and with a small spring on the end. You put your foot down some as if you were "setting" the choke, and pulled the cable. This closed the choke, but the spring on the cable sort of mimicked the spring in the choke stat--if it had been there. This left some movement for the pull-off to work while the spring kept some tension on. This mess worked VERY well down to ?? 15F or so. Below that required a little more throttle pumps etc, but I don't remember a time that I flooded it, or LOL, had to shovell the snow off the hood to get the old girl running. I had two heaters in that thing, and sometimes THAT was not enough.

In my San Diego/ Navy/ NAS Miramar days, I never ran a choke at all.

Well I used to have to "make" (and use) shall we say, "intelligent" manual choke
That's brilliant, it would have totally solved my problem! :thumbsup:
Why didn't you read my mind and tell me this before I bought this unit and wen't through the effort to make it work?! :rolleyes:

-
Back