slant 6 Crankshaft

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me where you can buy a crank for a 1966 slant 6 engine. I am rebuilding this one and looking at this one I have I am not really comfortable using it. I can either turn this one down or buy a new one but cant find it.I figured if there is a place someone on here would know. Thanks,Bill

Last edited:
It couldn't be machined for undersized bearings?
Check out the other/6 site Theres a couple of guys there from your neck of the woods
Would your /6 be a 170 or a 225?
I'm a ways north but I may be bringing a 64 225 home real soon.

It couldn't be machined for undersized bearings?
Check out the other/6 site Theres a couple of guys there from your neck of the woods
Would your /6 be a 170 or a 225?
I'm a ways north but I may be bringing a 64 225 home real soon.
why couldnt it be machined for undersize bearings. it is a 225 engine. why couldnt it be turned 10/10.

You can go all the way to 0.030/0.030 and have no problem getting bearings

Several other issues here is that the flywheel flange on a 68 and up crank is larger than the earlier cranks also the later cast cranks won't work for you. All 3 displacements use different cranks. Another reason to reuse your old crank is the small hub cranks are nonexistent in the rebuild market.

If you change cranks, you need to balance the rotating assy. Have the original crank ground 10/10.

Yes, true for inline 6.

img332.jpg

Cranks on an inline 6 are balanced to themselves, they can be swapped at will. Unless they weren't balanced correctly to start with, or the reciprocating assy. has a grossly mis-matched piston/pin/rod(which would be corrected by component weight matching if poss.), there is -0- reason to rebalance them.

Last week sometime there was an ad where someone had 4 NOS /6 cranks still in crates ... That might pencil out the same or maybe cheaper than having yours machined (?) Just a thought

Last week sometime there was an ad where someone had 4 NOS /6 cranks still in crates ... That might pencil out the same or maybe cheaper than having yours machined (?) Just a thought
Sadly he sold them all very very quickly…….

-
Back