Slant 6 Dying

-

Brandini

Reaction score
Hey in my 69 Cuda I was able to get the engine running and the car drove decently over to a buddies house (idle was very high), now when I tried to take the car home it will drive fine for a bit then starts to die when putting in gear. I’ve read the forums and seen all sorts of different answers but am not sure what might apply to me. The plugs where just changed and put in a new coil. My carb looks to be missing a bolt will try to post picture it may be causing vacuum leak, buddy thinks it may be a bad carb just going out, but have also heard that it may be the points system.

02B24470-5029-4A6C-9B07-BFCE7E5BD72D.jpeg

That's one of the bolts that attaches the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold. It will not cause a vacuum leak there, as that is no source of vacuum. It may however pose a risk for an exhaust leak.

Unhook that choke looks like some one bent it to work might not kickdown the fast idle lever, if it still idles high after you unhooked the choke lower the curb idle screw on the carb, if it still idles high after that you got a vacuum leak somewhere. Get a water bottle and spray around the carb and intake and listen for idle changes etc.

Give the car a proper tune up before you try to figure it out.Chances are the tune up will make it right.

If it's been sitting, probably a carb or other fuel related problem. Looks like the choke pull-off has been disconnected for some reason too.

-
Back