Slant 6 lean burn distributor info...

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Can someone with experience regarding the "no manual or vacuum advance," dual pickup, slant six electronic distributors answer me a question here, please?

I need to know the amount of difference ON THE CRANK in spark timing, between the "start" mode pickup coil and the "run" pickup coils in the Lean Burn, slant six distributors.

Is it like, maybe 10 degrees, or 5 0r 6??? I have no idea nor do I know where to go for that information.

I am building an experimental, turbocharged, slant six and want to run a spark system with NO ADVANCE curve of any kind. Just a locked plate.

I understand that the Lean Burn distributors had no advance mechanisms. either mechanical or vacuum. I just want to lock it at 18 degrees.

But, if they had two sets of pickups (coils) perhaps 6 degrees apart, I might be able to run off that advanced pickup, which could give me 24 degrees for a couple of seconds, while the turbo was spooling up, then I could switch over to the other one, which would retard it back to 18 degrees when boost came up over, say, 15 pounds...

A good 60-foot time is what I am looking for...

I have thought about giving the old gal a 50-hp shot of nitrous for one (1) second at launch, but would rather not fool wih the laughing gas, if I can get it done any other way...

Any information will be appreciated. I just need to know what the offset is for the two pickups, in crank degrees..

Thanks, in advance..

-
Back