slant 6 mods

-
That's an impressive list, and a gorgeous car!!! I love those Darts!!!

Tell me about your pistons; bore-size, and compression ratio, please...

Why? So you can recommend a turbo? LOL You sly dawg.

Why? So you can recommend a turbo? LOL You sly dawg.

Am~I~ that transparent??? :blob:

Well, he said he wanted to kick some ***.... That's a lot easier to do with some help from a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous system, given the built-in breathing limitations of the /6 head, don't you think??? The fact that the cast-iron head was originally designed for a 170, and was never changed, and the narrow bore center spacing necessitates some pretty small valves for a 39 cubic inch cylinder, makes building "kick-*** power" from a truly streetable combination a pretty steep uphill battle, and that can be frustrating and expensive.

Nitrous systems would seem to be detail/bothersome on a daily driver/street car, and that leaves superchargers and turbos not cheap or easy, but probably the best choice for an application like his. He's already spent a lot of money for some really good parts....

Now, the question is, are the pistons he bought going to be compatable with forced induction with regard to compression ratio, or would he need to sell them and get a lower-compression set???

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/slant-six-6-performance-parts/k1-slant-six-connecting-rods.php

http://www.campbellenterprises.com/slant-six-6-performance-parts/wiseco-225-slant-6-six-pistons.php

Going with the 3.504 Pistons for the overkill !!!:angel4: Haven't decided yet on CR as I'm waiting on the Head to check clearances, to see where I stand !!

Our Wiseco pistons are .167" "down in the hole" with flat tops. That works out to 9:1 true compression with a non-milled, stock head.

What kind of configuration are your pistons?

As for configuration,do you mean flat top ?If so,yes they are the same as yours.If I go with a 54cc chamber,then it should put me at 10.6 /1 !!:dontknow: I do however want to get in touch with a Viper Truck buddy of mine that likes playing with Super Chargers and see what he has to say !!He likes to be different too !!

As for configuration,do you mean flat top ?If so,yes they are the same as yours.If I go with a 54cc chamber,then it should put me at 10.6 /1 !!:dontknow: I do however want to get in touch with a Viper Truck buddy of mine that likes playing with Super Chargers and see what he has to say !!He likes to be different too !!

When you say, in regard to your pistons, "They are the same as mine," do you mean that in addition to the flat tops, they are also .167" down in the hole (deck clearance?) This "compression height" is an important consideration in piston parameters, and has to be considered as a part of the compression ratio equation.

We got the Wiseco pistons we bought because our good friend, Tom Wolfe had bought an identical set for his turbo motor, and we, being totally clueless, decided that the smartest thing we could do, was to build a copycat motor to his, so that's what we did. He and Ryan Peterson have very similar setups, and both run like the hammers of Hell, so we just followed along in their footsteps. Our car is 95-percent finished and should be running, soon, so we can see if we did the right thing, and did it correctly.

Our compression ratio, with those pistons, (3.465" bore,) a .020"-thick steel shim head gasket, and a stock, un-millled head, is a true 9:1, which is about what we wanted for our turbo setup. Oh, the head is ported, with big (1.75"/1.5") valves.

The car this engine is going into is a '64 Valiant 4-door sedan, with a fiberglass hood, and lightweight racing (bucket) seats. No back seat, but a roll bar. My avatar shows a picture of the engine.

We're hoping for a race-ready weight of 2,600-2,700 pounds. We may be sorely disappointed; I had a '64 Valiant 2-door post car that I swapped a 340 and an 8.75" rear into, that weighed 3,105... no kidding.disgust

IF your pistons are, in fact, .167" down in the hole (compression height) like ours, it would mean that your compression ratio would also be at about 9:1, which would mean that your short block's reciprocating assembly would be a perfect candidate for forced induction of some kind, super- or turbo-charging, which would easily give you the "kick-***" characteristics you seemed to desire, without ruining the driveability of your car with the long-duration cam and high-numerical rear axle ratios necessary to go quick with a highly-tuneed, normally aspirated motor. The turbo cars of Tom and Ryan have been shown to run their quickest with axle ratios of 2.76:1, which provides a great highway gear. The best turbo cams are short duration (220/220-degrees @.050") that idle like a stocker... so driveabily is not compromised with the rump-rump/no low end torque of a "racing cam."

And, if you can keep your foot out of the firewall, they say that gas mileage is actually improved with the addition of a turbo...

Interesting also, I think, is that Tom Wolfe's car, with a basically STOCK motor, cam, and all, ran a 12.95 @102mph in a 3,300-pound Dart Swinger by bolting on a junkyard Buick turbo. Your car would be much faster...

And, you wouldn't need a muffler, or a hood scoop... or, an expensive 8.75" rear; a "garden variety" 8.25" unit from a junkyard with it's 2-something gears would do fine (just be sure to get one with a Sure-Grip; you'll need it... and, most importantly, you wouldn't have to worry about MOST small block V8 cars at a stoplight... lol!

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

But, if you are even thinking about doing this, don't let Frank mill that head (hope it's not too late.)

Just some food for thought...

Believe me,I'm watching these threads,I haven't even taken the /6 out of the Dart yet !! Hopefully this weekend we'll get started !!I thought you had an issue with the Aussie Intake and the Turbo ?? If I go FI,I've got a Viper Truck buddy that just loves playing with the Paxtons !!But,time and $$$$ will tell !!

Bill, I love your enthusiasm and your willingness to share it with others. I think it's awesome, whether I'm gonna use a turbo or not.

Am~I~ that transparent??? :blob:

Well, he said he wanted to kick some ***.... That's a lot easier to do with some help from a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous system, given the built-in breathing limitations of the /6 head, don't you think??? The fact that the cast-iron head was originally designed for a 170, and was never changed, and the narrow bore center spacing necessitates some pretty small valves for a 39 cubic inch cylinder, makes building "kick-*** power" from a truly streetable combination a pretty steep uphill battle, and that can be frustrating and expensive.

Nitrous systems would seem to be detail/bothersome on a daily driver/street car, and that leaves superchargers and turbos not cheap or easy, but probably the best choice for an application like his. He's already spent a lot of money for some really good parts....

Now, the question is, are the pistons he bought going to be compatable with forced induction with regard to compression ratio, or would he need to sell them and get a lower-compression set???

Believe me,I'm watching these threads,I haven't even taken the /6 out of the Dart yet !! Hopefully this weekend we'll get started !!I thought you had an issue with the Aussie Intake and the Turbo ?? If I go FI,I've got a Viper Truck buddy that just loves playing with the Paxtons !!But,time and $$$$ will tell !!

My daughter, Donna, had a friend, growing up... a contemporary of hers, whose name was "Chris Weisberg." I never paid any attention to him. That was back in the eighties. He was just a neighborhood kid, there in Walnut Creek...

They grew apart, and she moved to Seattle and they lost track of each other, completely. A couple of years ago, they got re-acquainted ONLINE. somehow, and are now good, long-distance, friends.

Turns out, he has become a respected technical "turbo guru" and is hired as a consultant to the engineeering departments of certain auto manufacturers, and is sought-after for his considerable expertise.

~I~, on the other hand, am a COMPLETE ignoramous when it comes to turbocharging, having never even, before this, held one in my hand, let alone, ever built a turbo motor of any kind.

But, I AM smart enough to tap the mental database of guys like Ryan Peterson, Tom Wolfe, and others with experience with this stuff.

Enter Chris Weisberg: I coaxed my daughter into giving me Chris's email address, and explained IN DETAIL, to him, what we were trying to do complete with pictures

He was good enough to analyze our "program" and offer some sugestions, the main one of which was to "get rid of that long runner intake manifold, before you ever start the engine; it will KILL you..."

He said, we will add 10 pounds of boost, and not go ANY faster, with that manifold on there.

Great manifold for a normally-aspirated car, but anathema for boost...

So, I bought a short-runner Offenhauser manifold. It won't fit our headers.:banghead:

So, I bought a Clifford intake, hoping IT will fit our headers.... it's configured slightly different. Haven't tried it, yet.

We'll see...

If IT doesn't fit, the headers will have to be modified to fit the intake manifold, not something I want to get into, because they are already ceramic-coated...

But, I have to take this guy at his word... He's the expert, and I am just an idiot, trying go go fast.

So, that's the name of that tune....

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 189
  • hurricanemaifold.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 168
Bill, I love your enthusiasm and your willingness to share it with others. I think it's awesome, whether I'm gonna use a turbo or not.

Thanks for the kind words!

Now, if only I just actually KNEW what I was talking about.... :cheers: LOL!!!

The more and more, and more, I read threads about tubocharging slants, the more and more, and more still, I wanna do it. I've got a '65 Valiant 2 door with a recently rebuilt 225 in it and have been wanting to hot rod the motor to do some racing with. Hell, I've gone so far as to buy a '65 Dodge crew cab truck, with a slant, to use as a tow vehicle.

When the body work is done on the Valiant it'll be time for engine mods, and it's starting to look like I'm gonna turbo change that damned thing. As for now, the motor is completely stock.....might just leave it stock and do only the bare essentials to add a turbo. Make it kinda look like it was supposed to be there all along....

Wayno
Austin, TX

The more and more, and more, I read threads about tubocharging slants, the more and more, and more still, I wanna do it. I've got a '65 Valiant 2 door with a recently rebuilt 225 in it and have been wanting to hot rod the motor to do some racing with. Hell, I've gone so far as to buy a '65 Dodge crew cab truck, with a slant, to use as a tow vehicle.

When the body work is done on the Valiant it'll be time for engine mods, and it's starting to look like I'm gonna turbo change that damned thing. As for now, the motor is completely stock.....might just leave it stock and do only the bare essentials to add a turbo. Make it kinda look like it was supposed to be there all along....

Wayno
Austin, TX

Smart choice; you won't be sorry...

You have the choice of building a mild, low-boost, pump gas 13-second street/daily driver that's happy on pump gas (under 10 pounds of boost, and will run forever) or a pavement-shredding 10-second terror... your choice.

There is a LOT of great information on FABO and on the /6.org site, from people who are more than willing to share their experiences, and are willing to help with advice on what to buy and how to install it.

You go, guy!!!:cheers:

Bill

Well chitt,Bill,I guess I'm just going to have to play the compression game then !!! :D They've got 110 Sunoco right up the road from me,it's not like it will be my daily driver !!!:toothy8:

Well chitt,Bill,I guess I'm just going to have to play the compression game then !!! :D They've got 110 Sunoco right up the road from me,it's not like it will be my daily driver !!!:toothy8:

That's a prety ambiguous statement; could be taken two ways: Gonna run a heavily milled block, and a milled head (over.100"), for a static compression ratio of a high 11, or low 12:1 in a normally-aspirated engine,

OR

Nine-to-one compression, but a TON of boost from a supercharger or turbo for some outrageous street power on "110" pump gas..

Which is it? I can't figure it out...:?:

That's a prety ambiguous statement; could be taken two ways: Gonna run a heavily milled block, and a milled head (over.100"), for a static compression ratio of a high 11, or low 12:1 in a normally-aspirated engine,

OR

Nine-to-one compression, but a TON of boost from a supercharger or turbo for some outrageous street power on "110" pump gas..

Which is it? I can't figure it out...:?:

well before he boost's the crap out of it you should check to make sure he has a good head gasket, possible O ring, main studs and head studs ( or upgraded bolts)... does he have a fuel system to fuel it? boost is great bill but there is alot more than bolting on a turbo and go...

Well,I have the same Aussie Intake you have,and you're saying that Boost isn't good with that one I'll just stick with the original build intentions and go for NA compression ! Again I won't know everything I need 'till I get my head from Frank,and the block taken apart once it's out ! A 54cc head should give me 10.6/1,then depending on where it sits in the block will help me with the other decisions !! Yes,as stated I have have Main studs and Head studs,don't think I'll be taking it far enough to have to worry about O ringing at all ! Just going to play it by ear,nothing set in stone !! I was more than pleased with my last build,so this will just be a step or 2 or 3 or ...more ??

Well,I have the same Aussie Intake you have,and you're saying that Boost isn't good with that one I'll just stick with the original build intentions and go for NA compression ! Again I won't know everything I need 'till I get my head from Frank,and the block taken apart once it's out ! A 54cc head should give me 10.6/1,then depending on where it sits in the block will help me with the other decisions !! Yes,as stated I have have Main studs and Head studs,don't think I'll be taking it far enough to have to worry about O ringing at all ! Just going to play it by ear,nothing set in stone !! I was more than pleased with my last build,so this will just be a step or 2 or 3 or ...more ??

Thanks for the good information. With what you'd bought for the engine (some GREAT parts, BTW) I wasn't sure how you'd decided to proceed.

That will be an excellent intake system for a normally-aspirated powerplant, and has a LOT of visual appeal, too!

We're going to use it on our turbo engine to get a baseline, and then change over to a Clifford short-runner manifold to see if that makes any difference. It is supposed to, under boost. We'll see...

Good luck with your project; it sounds like a lot of fun!!!:cheers:

Bill

"That will be an excellent intake system for a normally-aspirated power plant, and has a LOT of visual appeal, too!"

Yeah,I kinda like a little BLING too !!Wish I had pics of my last build,had the engine painted the body color and lots of shiny stuff !!!

Well,I'll be the first to tell you I don't have any set plans except the fact that I want a kick *** /6 !! I've already purchased:
Aussie 4 barrel intake
Aussie 6 into 2 headers
High Volume Oil Pump
Cylinder Head (waiting on Frank)
Head Gasket
Intake/Exhaust (Romac)
Offy Polished Valve Cover
K1 Forged Rods and Pistons
ARP Main,Head Studs
Oil Pan and Valve Cover Studs

I think that's about it,but CRS is my best friend !!

Double Roller Timing Chain
Romac SFI Dampner
MSD6a
Mallory Unilite Distributor

I knew I was forgetting something !!

"That will be an excellent intake system for a normally-aspirated power plant, and has a LOT of visual appeal, too!"

Yeah,I kinda like a little BLING too !!Wish I had pics of my last build,had the engine painted the body color and lots of shiny stuff !!!

You're gonna have a good-looking engine compartment, for sure...

Post a picture here when it's finished.... I'm positive we'll enjoy it!!!:cheers:

I prefer NA myself. What would it take to build a 13 secong car? I'm assuming very low gears with a slant. I'd like to salvage some gas mileage if I buy the 71 Duster I'm looking at. I don't really want to go the boost route. I already have an 87 Shelby CSX that boosts just fine. The engine is a 2.2L 4 banger and runs like a raped ape, but it needs an engine. Compression is 115 on 1, 105 on 2, 75 on 3, and 30 on 4. I had 0 on 4 3 years ago when the engine let go. How the hell does compression come back after letting the engine sit for 4 years? LOL!!! I tested it 3 times. I have an engine ready to drop in and am just undecided on what electronics, injectors etc. to run. I'm going to go somewhere between 300 and 450 hp to the ground when all is said and done. Should be a fun ride.
Frank

Here's a video of my friend Brian Slowe and his 2.2L Dodge Shadow at Cecil County Dragway. The right turbo and the right combo of other parts and proper tuning can give you results like this. Enjoy!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k73TLOtoUQ"]Brian Slowe's Dodge Shadow runs 8.91 @ 156.83mph 11/13/2010 - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back