Slant 6 needed

-

zotoa

Reaction score
MY 1973 Dodge Dart which has a 255 slant 6 engine has developed a knocking noise.
I am faced with two choice either buy rebuilt engine or rebuilt this one.

Since I have no experience in this area I to find a mechanic located in Colorado to install the engine.
Any suggestions?

Im currently working on a slant 6 that had a knocking noise out of a 74 Gold duster. previous re-builder put in 3 new rod bearings and left 3 old ones in, and when one finally gave it started knocking. i cant help you with a mechanic, but you could save alot of money rebuilding it yourself, and i would recommend that route. i unbolted my engine, lifted it out with the help of a chain, some bolts, and a good pal. The teardown took very little time and its worth doing to learn! I have some parts laying around too if your ever in need of anything. good luck to you!

I got a /6 in my 71, come pull it out and its yours ;)

I don't know of any companies that offer reman slants.

I would check craigslist around your area and see if anybody is selling one they pulled for a V8 swap, usually they go for less than $200 and sometimes have already been rebuilt. I got mine for $80 but pulled it myself and plan to rebuild to save a few $$. I came across a website for reman. slant long blocks for $1000 in Texas (Mabco Motors), 12 mon. 12,000 mile warranty. You have to pick up the motor though, no shipping.

Engine w/ tranny should be real cheap or free, but you need to find locally since shipping would hurt bad. I saw new slants, in wooden crates, govt surplus, on ebay a few years ago for ~$500 ea. I think they were the later "peanut head" type. Let everybody know where you live.

-
Back