Slant 6 Pak?

-

speedyvision

Reaction score
i have a slant6 in my dart. i bought the car inspite of this "disability!" ...i always HATED slants! however, now i`m beginning to think its kinda neat and since its there maybe i will let it stay there (for now at least)
so now to the point of my post;
SLANT 6 PAK
has anyone seen one? i haven`t. i have looked at various Mopar forums and seen the weiand, clifford and offy offerings...4barrel or dual one barrel manifolds. and then theres the factory "super6" 2 barrel.
so why not get 3 x 2`s and graft them to an aluminum super 6? probably a 6"x1'x1/2" piece of aluminum cut, drilled and welded to a carefully cut stock aluminum intake might work...no?
yes, i`m oversimplifying the project, but how hard can it be? anyone interested or maybe tried it or knows of others who have?
i just never paid any mind to slants before now.

I was thinking of keeping my slant and was actually thinking the same way. I did find a 3-2 setup....maybe on www.slant6.org....it was a one-off the fella made it himself. Have not found any commercially available though. I'll look again and see if I bookmarked it.

Dave

I wanna say it is an Offy manifold that uses 3 side draft webbers. I see them in Ebay and at swapmeets every now and then.

If you're feeling lucky, Clifford sells a 3X2BBL Weber manifold. Not cheap and good luck getting it from Clifford. There is one on Ebay right now from Australia. Item number 130174085561 if you want to check it out. IMHO these are great for an EFI conversion but a royal PITA to set up and get running right with carbs. Two are hard enough to get right.

webers are awesome, but i was thinking of "old school" low-budget by making an aluminum box with a top to fit 3 2barrel holleys (maybe 2280`s?) then cut and weld it to an old manifold. maybe disable the accelerator pump squirter on the 2 end carbs and fix the throttle blades to operate from vacumn (or lack there of!) just like the Mopar Musclecars 6PAK worked. it will give you 2 barrel economy until you floor it!
yes theres details such as the accelerator cable, trans kickdown linkage (if you run an auto trans) choke, hood clearance, carb tuning, exhaust, etc, etc. but those are just details. they don`t have to be expensive. the most elaborate part of my plan is the actual welding. so if you can`t do it yourself you can probly find a welder crazy enough to want to do this project simply because its different...you might still need to pay him tho...

So you're thinking of cutting a stock manifold like in half and just using the runners? Should work OK but you will have to start with an aluminum manifold. Most slant intakes are cast iron. There were stock aluminum ones made, but they were only around for a short while due to leaking problems. Most were replaced under warranty with iron but I see one occasionally on Ebay. I would imagine that an aluminum manifold that survived this long was not a leaker. Great idea, have a go at it.:thumbup:

yes, of course...as i said when i posted this thread; ALUMINUM...and so far as leaking manifolds, yes, some were die cast as 2 pieces and then welded together (and not so good) so they leaked! that can be fixed by sealing with epoxy and paint.
during the cutting/welding/fabrication it might be wise to have the manifold bolted to a head and afterwards check it with a straight edge to ensure its not warped. if it is then a quick milling can fix that. in essence all i`m just going to add a plenum for another carb on each side of the carb thats already there, basically duplicating the existing plenum to create one 3times the size. i`m not a manifold genius, i`m not even a welder, but i`ve seen many homemade manifolds and understand the principles. it might take time to dial in the carbs, thats ok. i`m good like that.
at W.O.T. those 3 carbs are good for 750 cfm`s...thats a pretty potent little slant! of course to use it you need the engine fresh, in top form, milled head, cam, windage tray, scraper, etc.
i`m not real interested in a fast car or a race car. i just want my ride to be as kewl (cool for the un-cool) under the hood as it is on the street...and hiway passing power!

You may be thinking of the Hyper-Pak. Do a search on google for slant six hyper pak. It's a four barrel with long runners.

Other than that there clifford or offy.

Later

I wanna say it is an Offy manifold that uses 3 side draft webbers. I see them in Ebay and at swapmeets every now and then.

Although it's not 3 deuces, I am starting to put together a triple SU (3 single SU sidedraft carbs) together. Might be a real pain in the kazoo to get set up right, but it would be real eye candy on a slant. Couple of guys on an Aussie forum have them and looks pretty awesome.

3 SU carbs sound fun too. i thought of using 3 stock one barrel carbs, but for the trouble i decided to go with 3 dueces. so far tho this is simply hyperbole as i haven`t lifted a finger to begin the operation yet. my car is no sho car...its not even a rat rod. its just a paint faded daily driver right now...altho i do have champagne dreams i am way too frugal (thats what happens when you`re raised in Minnesota by depression era Iowa farmers! ) haha...anyways i always get more pleasure from do it yourself ingenuity. anyone can throw money to the pro`s.

There used to be a company called Proline fuel that had mopar 6 pack intakes that used 3 webbers and they also had a set up that used 3 webbers for the slant six. Check over on slantsix.org (or slantsix.com if anyone is still there) someone may have one. Im pretty sure that proline is gone now seeing as how their website is gone and I can't find anything on them anymore.

There used to be a company called Proline fuel that had mopar 6 pack intakes that used 3 webbers and they also had a set up that used 3 webbers for the slant six. Check over on slantsix.org (or slantsix.com if anyone is still there) someone may have one. Im pretty sure that proline is gone now seeing as how their website is gone and I can't find anything on them anymore.

I emailed Chris at Proline fuel 2 or 2 years ago about his intakes, and he told me that he was shutting down due to personal issues, and that he hoped to re-open. about a year later his site dissappeared, and it's been down a while. i doubt he's coming back. they were cool intakes though. he got raw castings from Offy and machined them for the webers and set up the webers for the engine you ordered them for. the clifford setup for 3 webbers looks very similar.
there were also some 2x1bbl. setups for the slant 6 that work well.
if you plan on running 3x2 or a 4bbl you should plan on a new cam as well.
Doug

That is WAY to much carburation for a street level slant 6. It would be like using two dominators on a stock V8...Can you say Bog. Go to the Slant 6 forum and spend some time reading from the experts there like Doug Dutra, You can get half again the power out of a slant for relatively cheaply, but as with all engines, it's all in the combination, or not...

That is WAY to much carburation for a street level slant 6. It would be like using two dominators on a stock V8...Can you say Bog. Go to the Slant 6 forum and spend some time reading from the experts there like Doug Dutra, You can get half again the power out of a slant for relatively cheaply, but as with all engines, it's all in the combination, or not...

...who said anything about the street? this is about being different and creative. by the way it IS possible to tune for streetable performance.
its possible to run dual quads, blowers or tunnel rams on the street too.
you could run an 1100HP RAT ROASTER on the street. i have seen them, street legal, tags and all! have you?
now have you seen a SLANT6PAK???
(now YOU go read at slant forum, or anywhere...about carburetion, cfm`s, jetting, 6packs, vacumn secondaries, camming, etc)
you see you only run an accelerator squirter on the center carb and it is in the stock location. the other two outboard carbs are controlled by vacumn, just as the original street 6packs did.
so you have an economical 2 barrel until you squash the throttle.
with stock carbs the most they can flow is about 750 cfm total for all 3. with tuning/downjetting it won`t take that much of a beast slant engine to handle it.
by the way, two Dominator carbs (are we talking 1150 cfm each?) on a typical stock V8 (these days about 5 litre/basically a 318 ) versus 750 cfms on a 3.7 Litre slant6 is NOT an accurate comparison...

the only way to do a 6 pack that would work on a slant would be a huge long ram intake (like the hyper pack) and the manifold would have to be huge to get 3 carbs to sit. The only problem I see with the original style intake is it would be way to hard to make it run evenly & it would prolly be way to hard to sycronize all the carbs. I think the best bet for getting mass amounts of fuel to a slant would be to inject the fuel (it would be way more even fuel dispersment and less headache) But dont get me wrong i would love to see a really nice looking 6 pack setup on the slant for gas milage and all out performance. I would be really neat.

I have a friend /racing buddy that runs a 3/2 webber setup he has it tuned for racing(which I think is more critical than street). He runs in the low 12's/high 11's.
The set up is common in Aussie land and you can buy a manifold in a number of configurations.
Frank

-
Back