Slant 6 pushbutton to 3 speed swap

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just swapped out a pushbutton tranny to a 3-speed and installed a floor shifter. What i would like to know is : There should have been a neutral safety switch in the car but i cant find the wiring for it, can i just change my starter relay and be good-to-go or is there something else i have to do to get it to start with the key? I can start it by jumping out the solenoid and i can start it by jumping out the starter relay. Any help with this would be appreciated.

not sure if u can find the relays without the neutral safety spade anymore but u can just run yours to ground

Thanks, i will give that a try. This has been very enlightening, doing this swap! There is so much more than changing out the tranny. I have been having a good time at it though. I think that when i am done, i will put together a timeline to do this job,so that anyone who is thinking about it can get an idea as to how much that there is to it.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go for a 4 speed or a 4 spd OD?

Run a wire jumper from the G terminal of the starter relay to ground. That simulates the NSS being grounded (activated) all the time.

And consider adding a clutch safety switch long term for safety. The '64 had no clutch safety switch; that was added several years later as a safety feature. Install the clutch safety switch at the clutch pedal arm like in later years; ground one side of the switch and run a wire from the other side to the G terminal of the starter relay.

I used a 3-speed because i got a good deal on a 64 4-door 3-speed donor car, and used everything that I could off of that which was quite a bit. I priced out the parts for a 4-speed and it would have been almost twice as much, and me being married to a wonderful wife who does not care much about this particular hobby, I needed to watch my money. And I have had 3 a-bodies with 4-speeds and only 1 other 3-speed before, so I figured that a 3-speed on the floor would be neat. If any of that makes sense.

Somebody that had the car before me removed the neutral safety switch wire from the tranny and tied it into the ground for the engine! Thats why I could not find it. Also I checked the starter relay and it was no good, so I went online to RockAuto parts and found one without the neutral safety spade and I am good to go now! Thanks for the info.

-
Back