slant 6 running odd

-

rastaswinger

Reaction score
allright i have been drivin this beast on and off after it was sitting for a some years, i have changed the fuel filter,rebuilt the carb and changed the cap and rotor. its still got a bit of a miss, and stutters when i accelerate sometimes. and when i stop fast sometimes it dies too. when it rains out it dies at stops and runs horrible. what do you think it could be. i am going to order some wires and get plugs thisweek. just wondering if anyone has had the same problem, maybe its something else. i have also run seafoam through it. oh its also hard to start after its been running a while and then sitting for a bit i have to hold down the gas usually. any help will be grealy appreciated and i hope this is the right forum to put it in. thanks !

rastaswinger,
Sounds to me like it's in the fuel system, by chance what year is the car and engine? They had a recall on the 1976 -77 cars as they had a fuel distribution problem and some folks had been killed while turning corners, the engine would die, I know I had one. They told me to return the car for a different one or they would just let me out of the balance, so I just returned it. I tried different carbs and fuel pumps but to no avail. The only thing that I can tell you is to replace the entire fuel system and the tank with a aftermarket one and then rewire the tank sending unit. I'm thinking that they have a vapor lock issue or a sending unit issue as this would only happen when turning left, so it had to be a problem in the tank, is what I'm thinking.
Let us know what you find, but this is where I would start looking.

well its a 1970, and i am going to be replacing the engine soon with an 8 cylinder, its just there is a car show in town next weekend and i dont want it to be dying on me. so just wondering if there is an easy solution.

Either rasie the float if you can or set the idle up a bit, thats about all you can do.

Sounds like the fuel pump itself is going bad. I had a 318 that would do that, then when I changed the oil I could smell just a hint of gas in the oil. I changed the fuel pump and the problem went away,...who'd a thunk it? :dontknow:

make sure you check your timing aswell to make sure its firing on time.. the lovely plastic teeth on the cam gear like to wear out. and if you have been doing burnouts its pussible that it jumped a tooth and you could be out. or your distrib could have be bumped and is out of spec now.

hahahaha now way this thing could ever do a burnout. i got some plugs and wires since i am assuming it needed them anyways, this thing sat for along time and i am unsure what has/hasnt been replaced. but i will check into these things you have told me as well, thanks for the replys, i will tell yah what happens with the plugs&stuff.

What kind of carb does it have? for 1970 it should be a Holley 1920. These are the carbs that would flood out if you went around a curve too fast. Did you put the baffle back in the bowl when you rebuilt it? If that is left out it can cause a ton of problems.

-
Back