Slant 6 to 318 swap

-

DEREK HESER

Reaction score
Hello y'all. I've got a question. I have a 1974 Plymouth scamp with a 225 slant 6. I want to drop a 1987 Dodge 318 into it.
Also, the tyranny is a 904. How easy will this bolt up and what bolt up mods do I need? Thanks

the quick list:
  1. V8 904
  2. Either adapting motor mounts or a V8 K-frame
  3. Exhaust plan for the V8
  4. If the 318 is from a truck, you'll need a car oil pan and pickup tube
  5. kickdown linkage for the V8. Your throttle cable from the /6 will work
  6. Does the 318 come with the pulleys/brackets? something to consider
  7. Radiator - probably best to go with a V8 radiator, although some have used the /6.
  8. Of course, the simple things like alternator wires and such can all be worked with pretty easily.
Relatively a pretty easy swap. A lot of this stuff may already be on your 318.

the quick list:
  1. V8 904
  2. Either adapting motor mounts or a V8 K-frame
  3. Exhaust plan for the V8
  4. If the 318 is from a truck, you'll need a car oil pan and pickup tube
  5. kickdown linkage for the V8. Your throttle cable from the /6 will work
  6. Does the 318 come with the pulleys/brackets? something to consider
  7. Radiator - probably best to go with a V8 radiator, although some have used the /6.
  8. Of course, the simple things like alternator wires and such can all be worked with pretty easily.
Relatively a pretty easy swap.
Okay. This sounds like an easy project (until it's not). I just wanted to make sure the '87 v8 wasn't a problem child. Not sure if it's out of a car or truck but can probably find out via engine numbers. Going by the photos from the seller, it's just about a complete engine, Including exhaust and intake manifold's carburetor, distributor, etc. Not sure about the brackets

Okay. This sounds like an easy project (until it's not). I just wanted to make sure the '87 v8 wasn't a problem child. Not sure if it's out of a car or truck but can probably find out via engine numbers. Going by the photos from the seller, it's just about a complete engine, Including exhaust and intake manifold's carburetor, distributor, etc. Not sure about the brackets

Also, Can I use my existing 904 and just change the bellhousing?

Truck 318 will be rear pump oil pan. Your car has spool mounts so they do make V8 swap mounts for that and you can use your existing k-frame.

Also, Can I use my existing 904 and just change the bellhousing?
bell housing is part of the transmission casing, they don't interchange. You'll need a 904 from a V8, or... a small block 727, but the 727 will require a shorter drive shaft. It doesn't need to be a A-body transmission, but just don't get one from a motor home.

-
Back