slant 6 to 318

-

74dart

Reaction score
What will I need to change to put a 318 in my new scamp that has a slant 6 in it?

either V8 k frame or swap kit will be the biggest thing. Trans mount will work and you'll need a small block tranny, your slant 6 one won't work.

As long as your 318 isn't 'built', the only thing you should need is the conversion motor mounts (possible a new center link, I can't remember if I swapped mine out on my 69)

ya because i have a dart im putting a new racing 318 into and putting the used one in the scamp that i just got for another project

Dont forget about all the little stuff like the radiator, fan shroud, engine wiring harness, exaust manifolds/ headers, exaust and stuff like that.

mmmk, I cant just get a k frame from a V8 car? or is the easiest nd cheapest way conversion motor mounts?

mmmk, I cant just get a k frame from a V8 car? or is the easiest nd cheapest way conversion motor mounts?

The Demon was a conversion to V-8 using a '75 K-member. I paid $150.00 for it including sway-bar, related LCAs, spindles, & disk brakes. Also got master cylinder, front brake lines, and proportioning valve. Spent a lot of time pulling it off the donor car.

You'll need motor mounts, radiator with inlet/outlet to match engine, transmission. You'll also need an A-body compatible driver side exhaust manifold. You'll need some hose stock for different heater and vacuum hose routing.

Don't forget a kickdown linkage. Your needs here will depend on carburetion. You should have no trouble finding a linkage for a 2 bbl, I couldn't find any LA 4bbl V-8s in my search. I went with an aftermarket kit.

I have yet to see a factory manifold that won't work on the passenger side. The /6 throttle linkage will work, but V-8 (shorter) is recommended. The /6 and LA V-8 use the same engine harness, some routing is different. It does get brittle, so run continuity checks on wire to make sure it is functional.

you can definatly just get a V8 k frame but that is usually more work and more expensive then a swap is. I havn't installed my schumacher swap yet so i can't tell you about how great they are but i can tell you it was a pleasure dealing with their company. They were very straight forward and answered all the questions i asked them.

Go to the schumacher home page and on the left find the section that says "73 and up A,B,F,M,J-body engine swap kits", click on that and you'll need the last one listed on that page for a 318. Hope that helps.

Cheapest way is the swap kit. Quickest way to. Getting the K-frame will require q swap of all the parts and a alignment to boot.

As long as your 318 isn't 'built', the only thing you should need is the conversion motor mounts (possible a new center link, I can't remember if I swapped mine out on my 69)

I went from slant 6 to 360 in my 69 Dart.. I didnt have to change the center link...

If it has not already been mentioned, you will also want to change the torsion bars to thicker ones.

Trust me.. you'll definitly want to switch to the thicker V8 torsion bars.. I found this out the hard way... lol

U might actually have the right frame underneath it I have a 72 dart and it has a slant 6 and but has the v8 frame on it

-
Back