Slant 6 to 360

-

1972gnswinger

Reaction score
1972 dart swinger, we have the 360 in, everything is hooked up, all fluids in.
I checked the stance with the 6 from floor to fender at 26" and with the 360 at 26 1/4 to 1/2.
I weight the cast intake at 65#. So, with aluminum intake and headers instead of the cast manifolds, the 360 will be right at or slightly less in weight than the slant 6. Stock 360 only weighs 75# more than the 6. 475-550#
Will it still be nessesary to change torsion bars or anything else in the front end. This will be just a nice daily driver, not a racer. The only reason for the 360 was for sound and maybe a tire burn.
thanks for all the advise you guys give, made this conversion very easy.
thank you

I ran .870 bars for years with my 440. Some guys run /6 bars with their big blocks.

You don't need new bars. If you decide down the road you aren't happy with the handling then you can get bigger bars and all the other factory system upgrades.

No you don't have to change them, but it will be a little "soft" in the front end.

If you don't like the stance, you can adjust the height to your liking.

If you want it stiffer, you can always change the torsion bars later...

Add a front sway bar and be dun (it will help body role some) I have pulled my slant for the same as you are doing..

It'll just roll in the corners a lot as it does now with the /6 bars. With more power in the car, it probably is a good idea to upgrade at some point but nothing dictates that it be done now.

Not cheap, but for a little better control, get some dbl. adjustable shock, or at least the heaviest duty OEM style. (But even HD OEM are somewhat on the soft side.)

-
Back