Slant 6 to 440 game plan

-

Americanstandard

Reaction score
So, I am at a major point in my project where the next few decisions will impact how soon I finish and how much this will cost me

Up to this point, I have a running '78 440, 727, drive shaft, and 8.75 rear. I have a 4 door 70s dart with it's 225 slant, 904 tranny rebuilt in 92, drive shaft, and a dana 60 with beefed up rear leaf springs. And I have a 72 440 waiting for a wild rebuild.

I plan on gutting the 225 slant six with transmission out by this weekend. Spend time prepping the dart, ordering headers and mounts from Schumacher's engine swap page, notching the k member, and figuring out how to convert to a floor shifter as opposed to the factory column shifter. Get the oil pan I need. Basically prep the dart.

Next, I will figure out if the holley carb needs to be rebuilt or just fine tuned. I will need to inspect my running 78 to see what else I need to keep it running. It idled very high. The coolant system is bad. Had very little condensation in the oil, but I think it's because it's been sitting. It starts up with no problems, but a few things needs to be addressed in a tune up.

After that is done, I will swap the running 440 engine and 727 tranny into the dart. I don't know how the transmission mount will work, and which one to use. I don't know what I'll do about the floor shifter, but I have seen some nice bench seats with floor shifters. Order a chromoly drive shaft, upgrade the front discs, swap my suspension with some coil overs I have laying around.

I think this will cost me approximately 3000. The break down will be ~50 to rebuild or tune the carb, ~50 for an oil change, add some coolant I have laying around, ~100-300 for a new high flow water pump, 800 for the Schumacher kit, 100 for oil pan, 15 for a cheap cutting tool (broke the cheap one I had), chromoly drive shaft around 400-700, and front disc brake conversion with new brake lines for maybe 800.

Do you think I have missed something somewhere, or am I on a good track?

After this point, I will begin on researching for a wild 440 to build up my 72 into the engine I want. I think I'm forgetting the valve body on the transmission too as well as gear vendors..

You'll need a radiator.
Chromoly drive shaft might be going over board.
I would go to a driveline shop and have one made and use the money saved and buy your radiator.

Don't remember seeing anything about a floor shifter. For sure go to a driveline shop and have them make you a shaft, should not cost much more then 300 or 400. Don't forget the little thing like hoses and belts.

Master Cylinder - Power or manual?
Exhaust
agree with all on the D/L
Starter - would use a mini
T mount works fine

master cylinder - manual
exhaust - will take it to a shop
starter - definitely a mini

question about brakes. what would you recommend for front discs, bearing in mind that i want to keep it a sleeper with stock rims and tires (for now).
there's no luck finding '73 and later disc assemblies that i can gut out and put together on the dart. got a website recommendation?

check out bigblockdart.com for help then under the tech section.u will need disc brakes or 10inch drums at least

-
Back