Slant 6 Water Pump Rebuild

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to rebuild a slant 6 water pump. That is, IF I can find a rebuild kit. LOL Anyway, here is how you press one apart. The other two videos will be coming soon.

I did that once. On a different straight 6, a Ford 300.
When I put the clutch fan back on (one of the first direct thread onto the pump shaft ones I ever worked on) I fought it coming off as tight as it was. I gave it that "last little tug" and snapped the threads off the wp shaft. Not wanting to "eat" that wp, I pressed them both apart and pressed it back together in the new housing with the new seals/ bearing, and original shaft. Never had an issue with leaks or squeaks the whole rest of time that guy owned the truck .

Did that w/p housing crack at the 5:00 mark in the 2nd video?

Let us know if you're able to find a kit.

Found your parts and they are even in your state AMS Obsolete Home Page

The impeller if you need it is 7-45-31 locator number P/N is 2205-549

The kit for the pump is 7-42-4 locator number P/N is 2298-907 the parts book says it doesn't include the seal.

Gasket 7-44-4 P/N 1947-523

Gasket 7-44-3 P/N 1947-521

Seal 7-46-1 P/N 2120-955

AMS shows they have all these numbers. These numbers are from a 1963 parts catalog.

Naw. I thought maybe so too, but it's all good. I'll double and triple check when I get it cleaned up, but I looked it over pretty good.

The kit for the pump is 7-42-4 locator number P/N is 2298-907 the parts book says it doesn't include the seal.

Seal 7-46-1 P/N 2120-955

AMS shows they have all these numbers. These numbers are from a 1963 parts catalog.
Wow, thanks! I had looked for a minute or two, but just wanted to go ahead and get these videos out there Incase there were more of y'all curious as to how to do this that have never done it. We used to do alternators and water pumps all the time at a small shop almost on the outskirts of Macon right after I got out of school.

Seal 7-46-1 P/N 2120-955

Yeah, that's Frank Mitchell's (RIP) former parts house. I've seen tons of people complain about his prices, but he slap HAD the stuff.

You have a good eye! It does have a crack in the housing. SO I guess I'll get out another core. lol

At least you won't do $1k in damage to anything in rebuilding that one like the other thread on here....

Yep, that definitely cracked.
Brand new, Gates $26 Rock Auto?
Oh I know all that. I just thought it'd be cool to rebuild one and kinda chronicle it. It's been years since I've done one. On to core #2. LOL

Though the camera might not like it, I like to hold a good sized chunk of hardwood plywood between me and stuff like that. I don't watch to learn. I just like the way he tawks. :lol:

-
Back